Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re:

That's what I love about the internet: instant therapy. I realize I may have across slightly Donal Kaufman-eque, sweating over everything Mckee says. It's just that I want my script to be as psychologically taut as possible.

Thanks, everybody.

Comment

Re: re:

I like writing stuff on paper first and scribbling out the things I don't want to keep as soon as they feel like they're not worth keeping. Then I go back and see how much of what was written got thrown away, and it's usually 82.98%. So yeah, I think ninety might be about the median for the whole writing world.

If some of us write 90% crap, and some of us write 80% crap, then there must be someone out there who writes 100% crap, and maybe he doesn't even know it.

Man, I hope it's not me.

Comment

Re: re:

I keep about 2/3 of everything I write, but I outline extensively, choose words carefully, and am blind to my own faults.
        Every day in every way you grow more like hamboogul.

Comment

Mckee is not god and his words are not gospel.

Did picaso ask his teacher where should I place my brush?

Not even if you think your teacher is right 90% of the time should you doubt your own innovation. For if you do then just admitted to yourself that you are an artist without talent.

Believe in yourself my friend and make wonders happen with your own creativity.

Comment

McKee has not given a good advice, he's scarying everybody.

just find your *personnal* *original* voice. and then write and don't care if it's good or bad.

then write 10 scripts the same way.

at last it WILL be good!!! it must be !

Comment

"Believe in yourself my friend and make wonders happen with your own creativity."

Very good advice.

If you have to ask people what you should be writing, you may not have the necessary creative skill.

The truly great writers have the ability to find their own inspiration and make it come alive on the page.

Comment

Actually, Picasso formally studied art, so his teacher probably did tell him what to do with his brush. Don't discount the value of education. However, lessons must be tempered with your own sense of yourself and your work.

Personally, I know that my writing is better than to call 90 percent of it crap. I wouldn't call 90 percent of it golden, either. I don't keep track of how much I revise, either volume or percentage. I don't see the point. I write and rewrite until I'm done. That's the process. Otherwise, it's like trying to determine and repeat the time length of the perfect kiss.

Comment

Re: picasso

picasso is the wrong guy for a conversation like this. yes, he went to the royal academy at 15, but he had in place all the qualities of a master from a very young age. his father taught him as a very young boy, but he surpassed his father's talent and capacity to instruct him before his teens.

he was a natural and had sufficient ambition and talent so that he rarely trusted anything (or anyone) other than his own instincts...

before he ever enrolled at the academy, he produced this (at 14 years old)

http://www.nga.gov/images/noncol/fisherfs.jpg

picasso would have never entertained the idea that anything he ever created was crap. and this reveals much about the purpose and motivation of art in our culture -- the agonizing and constant hand-wringing of the create-to-order class.

Comment

Totiwos, please don't missunderstand me, I am not against formal education in any way.

Formal education gives us the know how but it is through our hearts that that knowledge is put into good use.

Comment

RE: 90% of what I write is crap? Is it?

I don't know, is it? You tell us. For the record, I discard 90% of what Robert McKee says and writes.

Comment

Re: RE: 90% of what I write is crap? Is it?

Oh, I am a firm believer in listening to your heart and writing what's in it. Authentic voice is valuable, regardless of whether others think it it is commerical. Brenda Euland is one of my favorite authors when it comes to defining how to write.

I agree that Picasso isn't the best example. We can't all have the benefit of being a genius born to a painter (or, in this case, a working writer).

Comment

Re: RE: 90% of what I write is crap? Is it?

lucky Picasso didn't go through the american school system

Comment

Working...
                          X