Should I come out of the closet as a screenwriter?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roxy,

I have a great idea. You know all these well-connected people but are afraid of how they would react if you told them you were a screenwriter. Since I know none of these people, I can suffer no embarrassment from their rejection.

So why don't I send you my scripts and you can give them to your friends? Great idea, huh?

When I am rich and famous, I will be sure to have an intern somewhere read the first ten pages of one of your scripts.

It's a win-win sort of thing.

Comment

Don't be afraid to say what you do because there really are not very many degrees of separation in this world and you never know who might know somebody who knows somebody and so on...

I've also discovered to my great surprise that other people who work in the biz, be they actors or editors or producers or whatever, are all impressed that another human being has bothered to put words to paper. Even if you haven't sold anything yet, that you do it at all, that you know how to write, makes a big impression.

It also pays to be polite and civil to people at public gatherings and sometimes, even on a messageboard in cyberspace. Good manners and please and thank you do open doors. Really.

Good luck!

Comment

i attached an old remington typewriter to my keychain.

man, you just sling that sucker up on the counter at taco bell and then watch as envy drips down people's chins like clear-orange burrito grease.

Comment

I kept going in and having copies of my screenplay made at Kinko's. One of the guys who kept waiting on me was interested in the work. It turned out he is a newly published novelist (major New York house). I read his book. He read two of my screenplays. He and his wife had lunch with my wife and I. We hit it off very well. I started work on a screenplay adaptation of his first novel. The first dozen pages I had written knocked him out. He wants me to do the complete screenplay and is talking to his NY agent about it.

I live in Tennessee.

You never know who is out there and might be interested. Be proud of your courage and dedication to give screenwriting a serious try.

Some of the most influential people in Hollywood cannot write a screenplay (though that doesn't stop them from incessantly lecturing and criticizing the work of those who actually can).

I read some successful screenwriter's comment that if you can write a coherent and engaging story with a beginning, a middle and a satisfying ending, you've already beaten 90% of the competition.

Best of luck!

Comment

I must say this is the warmest, fuzziest thread I have read in many a while.

But I don't refer to myself as a writer and won't until I get a Guild card or a 1099.

And you can't use any kind of qualifier like aspiring writer, unpublished writer, etc., because who (in NY) isn't one of those?

But I'm pulling for you guys in Chicago.

Comment

You think it's embarrassing to tell people you're a writer in Chicago? Try telling people you're a writer in LA. People just sort of give you a pity look like, "Oh, you're one of THOSE."

Trust me, in Chicago, from where great people like David Mamet hail, it ain't embarrassing.

And a problem is only as big as you make it.

Comment

Add Mamet to my previous list, thanks Boobsie.
                And while were at it, more Chicagoans like

Ben Hecht and Hemingway
                Oh yeah, Bob Fosse...

Comment

Maybe they weren't interested, but how do you feel about coming out of the closet? Maybe next time, it'll be easier, and next time will be the contact you need to make. Or the time after that.

The very first producer I met, I was thrilled. I couldn't wait to share my passion and absorb his interest and experience. What a disappointment. He personified every Hollywood stereotype I'd ever heard. If people like that could get ahead in the industry, I reasoned, than it wasn't an industry I wanted to join. Fortunately for me, I ended up in the wrong line at a film festival and happened across a fantastic group of filmmakers. I came away really inspired. You never know who you'll encounter.

Also, you may find that you have to prove yourself and show your passion. I've gotten boosts from people who later told me they initially were hesitant to offer support because so many people say they want to make movies but so few are willing to put in the work.

Of course, I live in Oregon, so what do I know?

Comment

Working...
                  X