Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dusting off pet projects

I have a few dead scripts that I keep getting sucked back into. Drafts that never get the critical attention they need, but I went back to a few specs and just kept working from the beginning. At every sitting these last few months, I'd start from page one. Because i know the story well, it really helped me tighten the bolts.

There's no right way to go about your work, just your way.
    But, sometimes your 74 Gremlin can die on the Cross Bronx only to be overhauled in Manny's garage and come out a candy apple red SUV.

So, go find that draft that had promise. Maybe you have what you didn't a few years back.

A couple of year ago I didn't have what it takes to recognize a good story. Your first eight scripts are like waffles. Or something like that.

Comment

I've got a couple of those that keep calling to me at night when I'm half-asleep.

"Tooooooooony... Toooooooony... diiiiiiiiiiialogue paaaaaaass... paaaaaaaaaaage one reeeeeeeewrite..."

I usually wake up screaming.

Comment

I'm afraid my pet projects have all suffered from zombie bites. What's the benefit in ignoring the sinking eyes, pallor, and stench, because there's something there that resembles what I once loved? By the third act, I'm beheading a script that's turned on me with a bow saw. I'm much happier when I go for the headshot and delete.

I admit Randesq here is a different animal. His process involves stainless steel fermentation and oak barrel aging. Very few have the patience required.

Comment

I still polish drafts of early scripts on occasion, even though I know they will never go anywhere because I'll never attempt to sell them (because they could not, and should not, be movies). Sometimes, it's just more productive than watching television or chatting on the internet, I guess. I mean, a writing exercise is a writing exercise.

Comment

If it's a page one rewrite complete with outline and only the fundamentals and premise of the earlier version in place I say go for it. As long as it reflects the writer you are now and not then. Polishing isn't going far enough.

Comment

Working...
            X