Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROCRASTINATION-HOW TO TAME THE DEMON?

HEY PEEPS,

I NEED FEEDBACK ON HANDLING U-KNOW-WHAT...
    U KNOW THAT THING THAT KEEPS THAT BILLION DOLLAR,
    SWEEP THE OSCARS, ATTRACT BOTH TOMS, CHANGE THE WORLD SCRIPT IDEA IN YOUR HEAD AND NOT ONTO THE PAGE?

OR WORSE YET, THAT THING THAT KEEPS YOU AT YOUR OFFICE SPACE W/OUT THE FUN, SOUL SUCKING, MUNDANE, SCRAPPING FOR PENNIES, SO MEAGER PAYING THAT U SELL YOUR BODY'S PLASMA TWICE A WEEK, MENIAL 9-5(AS IF I AM LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE DAYTIME HRS) JOB???

TALK TO ME, MY KINDRED PEOPLE...

Your best bet, for starters, is to stay off the internet.

Comment

AaRON,
      YEP, KILLED THAT ADDICTION LONG AGO...
      I DON'T KNOW IF YOU'VE EVER SEEN THE COMMERCIAL WHERE THE GUY'S COMPUTER TELLS HIM HE'S SEEN EVERYTHING & HAS OFFICIALLY REACHED THE END OF THE INTERNET...

I FORGOT WHO HAD THE FAMOUS SAYING, "THE SEAT OF THE PANTS TO THE SEAT OF THE CHAIR"...EASIER SAID THAN DONE...

Comment

You could try pressing the caps lock off. That'd go a long way towards helping your problems. And write everyday. No excuses. At least 3 hours every day. Make the time.

Otherwise you don't really care.

Comment

Writers procrastination is due to the lack of a story idea compelling enough to keep you working.

It's either a lack of faith in skill or product 24/7.

Comment

visionaryi

try writing instead

zilla

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with procrastinating...I mean, if you really wanted to be writing, you would be doing just that.

So just kick back and enjoy yourself.

Comment

There is no excuse for not writing other than -- there's something else you'd rather do.

Instead of figuring out why you're doing other things other than writing, perhaps you should instead figure out why you're not writing.

The answer will probably sadden you.

Comment

You are your own boss... act like it!

What Pathetic said: figure out why you aren't writing.

p068.ezboard.com/fdonedea...D=70.topic

In the brand new issue of Scr(i)pt Magazine I've got an article on this very subject - getting pages written. If you find that you really love writing, but find yourself not doing it as often as you'd like, I have all kinds of tips and methods for getting stuff on the page.

But here's a quick one: Treat it like a job... and be a mean boss.

- Bill

Comment

I'll let everyone else give the condescending remarks. Although I do agree that not having a truly compelling idea in your head usually does lead to the problem.

Best thing I can think of is to find something like a script competition which will give you a certain deadline - or, tell important people in your life that you will have a script done by a certain time. If you fail to meet that deadline, they will know that you are only a screenwriter because you say you are.

On a side note - I don't physically write 3 hours a day. Its probably more like 3 hours a week. But I do spend much of my time, whether I'm at work, with friends, or shopping, writing, editing, and re-writing in my head.

Comment

My master's thesis is on procrastination, so if you really want to know what to do to cure it (general procrastination, not necessarily writing-specific), let me know.

Comment

Yo, Optimus

I'd like to read your thesis.

Seriously.

Comment

Lay it on us, bam-bam.

Comment

The way to beat "block" or "procrastination" is to immerse yourself in the research for your script. If a thriller on a boat, read up on psychology, boat building, marinas, marine repair, etc... This will stimulate your creative juices and before you know it you won't be able to keep yourself away from the keys for the simple reason that all this new knowledge has spawned "ideas" and you NEED you get them down...

That's my take on it, anyway... do with it what you will...

Comment

Re: Yo, Optimus

I'd like to read your thesis.

Seriously.
                              Gimme a few months to finish it.

It's actually on (for now, anyway) a typology of worry-based procrastination. The underlying theory, basically, is that while the symptoms/behaviors of most procrastinators are similar, the motivation behind and, thus, treatment of are drastically different.

So, depending on why you procrastinate (the motivation), the strategies to overcome it will be different.

Comment

Working...
                              X