Writing with Ratings Board in Mind (CAUTION: Mature Subject)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing with Ratings Board in Mind (CAUTION: Mature Subject)

I am writing a period film set in the 1920s. In one scene, I plan to show some gentlemen watching a clip from an early stag film - the legendary animated cartoon "Buried Treasure", starring Eveready Harton. As you might have guessed, this cartoon character has a rather prominent distinguishing feature.

See Exhibit A, 1st picture on page: homepage.ntlworld.com/rob...orship.htm
    CAUTION: IMAGE MAY OFFEND SOME VIEWERS.

I am aware that same "pose" with a live actor (to the extent that is possible) immediately relegates a film to NC-17 status. Would the same hold true for a cartoon? Does it depend on the length of screen time (pardon the unintentional pun)? Or would it all come down to whether the film ratings board (here in U.S.) finds the use of such an image to be of an artistic interest as opposed to a prurient one?

Apologies if this question (or the supporting material) is too far out of line for this board.

Re: Writing with Ratings Board in Mind (CAUTION: Mature Subj

you know the answer to this one. Is there many Japanese Hentai video's available at blockbuster?

There ya go.

Comment

"South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut" depicted cartoon penises (although it was later specified "IT'S A FAAAKE") and that was rated R, so I think they'll let this slip under the NC-17 radar.

(Also: "There's something about Mary" depicted penis skin and that got the R rating too.)

Comment

Meanwhile, TEAM AMERICA had to cut their sex scene to get an R rating (was originally rated NC-17) even though the film has puppets doing the sex scenes... puppets without any sex organs at all.

But I wouldn't worry about this - unless the whole film revolves around us seeing that cartoon. They can just not show it... or use a Betty Boop cartoon instead.

- Bill

Comment

agitprop

don't worry about ratings. the producers and distributor will deal with that. they will alter your (which will actually be their property) script any way they see fit for any reason they see fit. just write your story

zilla

Comment

Working...
          X