Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• every now and then, a line speaks to you

Reading through the script for The Italian Job (remake), this line struck me as some brilliantly succinct writing:

"Hope I get to fire it (cigar) up. If Steve's Italians are a no-show, it's three months prep down the shitter and I've dragged you out of retirement for nothing."

One short sentence that does a great job of introducing the pertinent backstory. Strong enough that you could probably figure out what's going on if you had never heard of the movie and didn't even know the genre.

Just thought I'd share a bit of inspiration.

Dan

That line does nothing for me.

Comment

As far as I can tell, that line could be about painting the Sistine Chapel.

And I saw both movies.

Comment

The last line that really spoke to me was one of my own. It wasn't particularly brilliant writing, and I didn't write it with any meaningful intention beyond advancing the story, but upon rereading it acquired some.

Comment

Sorry to have disappointed... Regardless, I think it's a near perfect example of capturing backstory in a tiny snippet with no hint of awkwardness.

Dan

Comment

i agree, and dclary wouldn't know what a goodline was if i wrote it for him. he thinks highlander raising the sword above his head and screaming i have the power is a goodline even know heman said it/

vig

Comment

:rollin @ vig

Comment

As far as I can tell, that line could be about painting the Sistine Chapel.
                I thought Michaelangelo painted it by himself...so who did he bring out of retirement?

Comment

Smoothest in-a-nutshell backstory I ever heard?

Five of us and Mom working all day
                  We knew we could help her if our music could pay
                  So Daddy got Reuben to sell our songs
                  And it really came together when Mom sang along...

-Derek
                  -----------------------
                  My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

Comment

Working...
                  X