Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, but one could substitute "dialogue" for "voice over" in your post and the statement would still be valid.

Comment

Tony, I think the diff. is that dialogue is essential, VO is not. VO is a "something extra" that can add value, or cripple a script as well.

A Young writer should tackle dialogue, pacing, and structure. And at some point maybe VO as well, but it's a, "Don't put the cart in front of the horse" type of thing.

Comment

Yeah, I could agree with that. A writer working on his/her first screenplay should absolutely pay closest attention to structure, dialogue, pacing, character, etc. But I see no reason why s/he should AVOID voice over and/or flashbacks.* Why not learn how to use them as well? Maybe not put a huge emphasis on them or anything, but definitely get comfortable with them.

* Remember, though, I'm a big fan of new screenwriters NOT marketing their first few scripts, but rather learning the craft through writing and rewriting them.

Comment

Wow, I just realized I've been actively participating in a thread (probably the 20th this year) about voice over. That's a bad sign. Must. Stop. Now.

Comment

20th? no way. there can't have been more than two a month.

i hope.

Comment

doesn't voice over flush out some great dialougue? hell, everyone would flush out character through voice over.

and i thought the third week was can you sell a script from kansas?

vig
              vig

Comment

Working...
              X