Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making them up as you go along?

Make it up as you go along reminds me of the Co-Write contest for some reason....
    Assistant at UTA, training to be a Talent/Lit agent.

Comment

I go to a tourist town and buy 2 dozen random postcards. Then I shuffle them around on a storyboard until they make sense.

Midnite

Comment

Make them up as I go along? No - never.

I get my outline to read itself, make it as tight as possible, exhausting every option my story can take...dodging bullets or cliche's, genre depending.

Then I sit down and just write. Whether I can write for 10 hours straight or 30 minutes, I write each day.

I once wrote 20 pages in one sitting. They were rough and I had to re-write them to make any sense, but I had it down and could knead out the lumps easily.

But I don't need to make it up as I go along, as I have the outline to guide me and the fact that I've watched it over and over in my head more times than I could afford to rent it if it was made.

I think instinctive writing has it's pro's; but if you don't yet know your story, you might find yourself in a dark room with closing walls. Let your creativity flow and if that's how you write the best material, go for it.

Just remember, hundreds of people have to like your material and thousands have to want to read it.

Happy writing dude.

Comment

I always outline enough so that I know what happens in the 15 or so most dramatically relevant beats, then I start writing. How I get from beat to beat is usually made up on the spot as I am typing. This method allows for a solid foundation, but still leaves room for spontaneity.

Comment

The Old outlining debate. Probably goes back to the time of Socrates and Plato. To me, it boils down to what works for you. The first thing I usually do is writing pages. That initial burst or spark of the idea can get me through twenty pages or so. Then when I find myself staring at the screen alot and not in love with what's coming out, then I stop and go to the outlines and timelines of my script.

Some people wouldn't dare going to script without outlining first. But I know I'm gonna have to write three to four drafts(meaning page one rewrites), to get the story where it takes some good twists and turns. So, writing the words 'Fade Out' on draft one is no big deal to me, I know the script is nowhere near done.

Jumping in and writing gets the creative juices flowing for me.

Comment

If you are making it all up as you go along, you're not writing.
              You're making an eccentric outline, in script format.

And you're basically wasting time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ven View Post
                If you are making it all up as you go along, you're not writing.
                You're making an eccentric outline, in script format.

And you're basically wasting time and energy.
                Hilarious.
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Working...
                X