Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting dichotomy

the actor who can speak volumes with a facial expression alone. when this happens, we notice.

so you're writing a scene. and you want the character to speak volumes with a facial expression alone. and so you write it as such.

and then you give your script to friends and post it on done deal. and the feedback is: make the charcter do something. give him an action as opposed to "John gives Sara a look that burns right through her." or "John gives Sara a menacing look"

Facial expressions of that manner are more novelistic, as opposed to filmic. I would have the character do something, unless it is imperative to the story he uses only a facial expression. You said yourself that you will take heat from peers for using just the facial expression -- that will translate to studio people as well.

Comment

Personally, I donâ€TMt have a problem with either type, as long as the action is necessary to the story, interesting yet unobtrusive (ironically), and manages to capture the moment, while on the run (ironically).

Btw, John itâ€TMs just like you to go the passive-aggressive route to tell me how you feel.

Comment

FACIAL EXPRESSIONS!

I would leave facial expressions within the domain of the "actor" where it belongs.

Your narrative, if intuitive and articulate enough, will be enough for a good actor to bring the right mood (or) expression to the scene.

In other words, avoid all parenthetical cues for actors, they hate them! Like;
        frowning
        smiling
        happy

They do appreciate an occasional cue whereby your conveying something about the character that would otherwise be unknown to the actor from reading the script alone and taking into consideration the tone of the scene.

The writer's job is to set the tone through dialogue and descriptive narration!

The actor's job is to bring behavior and human animation in such a way as to work in tandem with that tone! Two of the best and classic "human animators" were Lon Chaney and Charley C.!:smokin

Comment

Re: FACIAL EXPRESSIONS!

This made me think about one of my favorite â€facial expression†scenes so I thought Iâ€TMd do some research. Found a final script. The Graduate by Buck Henry available for no charge on geocities.com. I recommend that you give the entire script a look.

This is the moment when Elaine realizes who Benâ€TMs â€older woman†is.

She looks back at Ben, then back at her mother's face again.
          Mrs. Robinson's eyes watch her through the crack in the
          door. Elaine looks away.

ELAINE
          Oh - no.
          Your narrative, if intuitive and articulate enough, will be enough for a good actor to bring the right mood (or) expression to the scene.
          ... like DUCPHO said.

Comment

hswg

non-verbal writing/acting is some of the best stuff in movies. it is found in all visual media. you cannot provide an example of motion pictures (with human actors) which does not include non-verbal subtext - it's impossible.

even if someone just stands there - there is something implied in their presence - some interpretation the audience will make despite a lack of spoken words or overt action - you can't help it - you look at someone and you think/feel something about them.

you find this type writing in commercials, oscar winning pics, whatever. don't let people who can only appreciate overt, simple, clearly defined action tell you not to write non-verbal stuff

i just watched some of 'the others'. there is tons of non-verbal action in this pic - every shot has it. every shot. the others was made for $18m and grossed $100m domestic. it's very atmospheric, takes place in one location (a house), and has no action elements (like car chases). you won't find anyone in hollywood willing to trash this pic. audiences loved this movie

now, all that being said, you should not write stuff that can't be acted of photographed, like:

bill enters. he's tall, has dark hair, bad posture, and clearly had a bad childhood -

- you see this kind of writing from beginners all the time

quality non-verbal writing, on the other hand, is essential for almost all writers - even if you write straight action (see 'speed')

zilla

Comment

Working...
            X