Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• micromanagement

I see it mentioned in critiques in Script Pages from time to time... anyone wants to discuss it in general? Like, how much is too much, is it a technical flaw or a characteristic of the writing voice, etc

I'm assuming by micromanagement that you're referring to the intricate details entwined in a script. The management of the smallest of items that may provide the largest of plot points... If I'm wrong. Let me know... Until I do, it's difficult to get a discussion going on it.

Micromanagement generally refers to the business management at companies. Studios will micromanage directors on certain projects which can prove to be a bad thing if said director isn't left alone to their own creative devices. Too many cooks for example.

I've personally never heard of it in reference to writing or what context it might be taken in. Perhaps if you clarify what you mean or provide a link to an example in Scriptpages people might be more willing to jump in once they understand more of what you're getting at.

Comment

Sounds like you're describing what Ext calls 'overdirecting the action text.' (See, Ext? People do heed your advice.)

I've been dinged on that style choice enough times that I'm now pretty well convinced it's a bad idea. If it slows down or confuses the reader, it can usually be cut without messing things up.

If it's some little camera thing that the director can change, they likely will.

If your script hinges on the audience squinting and seeing that blue dot #317 is out of place when compared to the original unedited dots on the microfilm the spy held back from the Germans blah blah blah-- maybe your script shouldn't hinge on it.

That's my vote.

(PS: VOTE!!!)

-OMc

Comment

micromanagaing the script means when every possible direction, movement of the character, hair color, pants size, inner thoughts are written on the page.

there is so much that doesn't have to be written if you know the craft.

vig

Comment

The opposite of less is more.

Comment

Thanks! I'm thinking, maybe it's something typical for those who came from fiction writing. I catch myself overwriting things like that sometimes.

Comment

Working...
            X