Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be In It for the Creativity

You are fifteen and already have the wisdom not known to very many people. Don't let that go.

If you do it because you love to create, you'll probably write something most of us will enjoy reading and perhaps seeing on the screen.

People only in it for the money will never have enough of it to make them happy. Nor will fame satisfy them because it is fleeting and if they define themselves by fame and inevitably lose it, they will self-destruct.

Perhaps you could set as your goal to touch people with some common truth you find as you observe life. If you do that, your creative work will outlast you. That can be a worthwhile goal.

Comment

Re: Be In It for the Creativity

5. A director who tells me I can sit in on the set for the love scenes. Not the director of my movie, mind you, but one operating in Van Nuys. ( I would have inserted an emoticon here, but read #9)
      Actually the editing process is much more interesting.

Comment

Re: Be In It for the Creativity

I heard that! I shoulda spelt it nekkid.

Comment

If it's big money you want, kid, become a Lawyer or a Dentist. If it's fame you're looking for, run naked through the city park on a Sunday afternoon. If you want to be a writer, accept the fact that sometimes you're gonna starve. No...You're gonna starve a lot.

Most writers I know, write 'cos they're hooked. They are hooked by the power that words can bring to a page. Being a writer means you can murder someone and get away with it; bring couples together who haven't spoken to each other for years, or tear them apart; kick the hard guy where it hurts, rob banks, bring love to lonely people, or fly to the moon. And you can do all this at the stroke of the keyboard whenever the fancy takes you. You have the power to destroy whole neighbourhoods or build new countries. Who needs money or fame when you can get your buzz from wiping out the whole world/universe if you want to. You can even bump off the President if you don't like him.

Producers and Directors may be at the top of the totem-pole when it comes to public recognition for what they do, but we writers can feel good that it was us who put them there in the first place. Be proud you got there when you do, because you will have honed your story telling craft to perfection through your own blood, sweat and tears, and the good advice you got from posters on this board.

Shadow

Sorry! What do I want from writing? I would like to retire one day with the knowledge that I gave my dream its best shot.

Comment

I want it all. I want the fairy tale

Comment

Re: To stay true

zz9

Abraham Mazlow was a fine person and influenced Freud's study of the crippled and the insane; the stunted and immature of this world. And didn't Maslow himself get most of his findings by working with monkeys? Maslow arrived at his hierarchy of needs from the fact that we need to breathe, eat, and sometimes have sex - something writers are prone to miss out on, or even do without, most of the time. I can speak for myself on the latter.

Comment

The good ones just want to tell stories... which wasn't on your list.

Comment

I just to want to finish this 1st script and start my second.

Comment

I want to just break a mold and put out movies that would make people think twice about science, religion, philosophy and politics. I want movies that people can have late night conversations over the phone about going.

"Well, you know in _____ it was really interesting how in the end he was still in his room."

Then they proceed to babble on about the government and religion and such.

I mean that's the kinds of movies I like and that's the kinds of things I do with my friends.

Comment

I want to write movies that will:

1. Scare the sh!t out of an audience.

2. Baffle an audience.

3. Make an audience hate me.

4. Engross an audience.

4a. Make an audience member reluctant to leave the theater even if his bladder is screaming at him. If he pisses his pants rather than move out of his seat to relieve himself, I will be ecstatic.

5. Make an audience chuckle.

6. Make an audience cry.

(and a bunch of other stuff)

Not necessarily all in the same movie. Though, that would be neat, too.

Comment

I want to have someone offer to lasso the moon for me.
                        I want to stand on the very front of a ship and have some one hold on to me while I fly. (shut up. ignore the metaphors, it's still cool)
                        I want, if I happen to have a dead body in a car, to have Jimmy offer me his "gourmet sh*t" and nice towels.
                        I want blueberry pancakes.
                        I want to fly over the Grand Canyon in a convertible/keep going.
                        I want to eat a zillion raw eggs and then if some jerk makes me dig a hole and keep filling it in I want to go ahead and bash his head in because that was really mean and Paul Newman was a good guy.
                        I want to execute every motherf*cking last one.
                        I want to be able to, without looking like a leg-clutching loser, tell Sir Steven Spielberg how sorry I am but how totally glad I am his shark didn't work.

Comment

I just want to tell stories by writing some good scripts, exploring some interesting ideas and expressing some honest emotions. Hopefully, one day, something I wrote will affect someone else, somewhere, for the better. That would be nice. Ideally, I'll sell some scripts to fund my screenwriting habit. Hell, I'd write for free if I had to. Hmm...I already AM writing for free. As for screenwriters who are in it to meet women....

Have you heard about the Polish starlet? She blew the writer.

Comment

I'm just doing it for fun right now, trying to improve for myself. I would like to write as a hobby, and am really intrigued by the entire screenwriting process.

As always, if sometime in the future I do sell a spec, wonderful. If not, who cares?

If I do feel that I am good enough, maybe someday down the road I'll produce an Indie. Who knows?

It's all for the fun, that's why we do this here. /Unknown Prophets

Comment

All I want is to go to a meet and greet and not be offered Arrowhead bottles of water.

I've yet to receive Evian.

Comment

When all is said and done, new screenwriters just want to be old screenwriters.

Comment

Working...
                                X