Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style

I'm working on a romcom and last week I read Ronald Bass's script for "My Best Friend's Wedding". He has this interesting style when writing his actions, or I should say reactions. During the whole opening scene in the resturant, Julia Roberts's character (I think it was Julianne, but I'm not sure) would be speaking, and her friend (Rupert Everett's character, have no idea what his name was) would be reacting to what she was saying. Only it was not so much actions or reactions as impressions of actions.

So, she would say something, ending with "you know." And in the action line it would just say, "He knows" or "He knows her" or "He understands". The action was implying what he was thinking, without giving any physical action direction or audible response, so the actor would take that and show outwards signs of these thoughts, I guess. I'm not sure if this is very common. I haven't had a chance to read any other of his scripts, and it may just be his particular style. Obviously he can get away with it, and I enjoyed reading it like that.

But I would think that this sort of thing would be generally frowned upon for unproven screenwriters? Am I wrong?

Any thoughts?

Whether it's Ron Bass writing what characters are thinking or Shane Black directly addressing the reader in his action lines -

these are techniques that if you do them well they're fine, but if you don't - you look like an idiot.

Comment

"My Best Friend's Wedding"

I tried reading the script for "My Best Friend's Wedding" (after watching the movie) and got bogged down in boredom with the first scene -- and actually gave up. Probably if I'd been a script reader I would have passed and picked up the next -- yet its one of my favorite films.

I also thought the first scene was too long, wordy and static when I watched the movie. When you're "in" the business you're in a totally different position from those of us still sending out specs.

Comment

Re: "My Best Friend's Wedding"

In order of importance:

Story
        Structure
        Style

If you have the story down (this includes an interesting premise, compelling characters and believable dialogue), and the structure is sound (a story that hits all its dramatic beats, doesn't lag, moves forward, keeps you turning the pages) then style is a matter of personal preference.

The advice is, don't emulate the style of proven writers - develop your own with the knowledge that whatever works is a tool you're allowed to use.

Comment

Velysai, are you a girl? The way I read his reactions is very much a "guy" reaction. In a deliciously stereo-typical reaction for male-female relations, men often act as sounding boards for a woman's monologue. With our mothers and sisters, we learn how to react appropriately to comments: huh, hmm, really?, the bitch!, wow, not those jeans, &c.

As far as the script goes, it is a nice way to break up her expository monologue without having to put in silly dialog.

Comment

In order of importance:

Story
            Structure
            Style
            Not to mention alphabetical order as well.

Comment

For what it's worth, my first script, (the one I got paid for--see prior post) is a romcom. I have a style similar to Ron Bass, although not intentionally so (I read MBFW after writing it). I think it is perfectly fine to put some humor in your action sequences that indicate the character's reactions. It makes the read more fun. (Keep in mind, this is only appropriate in comedic styles, and, as with everything, should not be overdone.)

On another note, has anyone read the "Taking Lives" script. Now there was a distinct style:

He approaches. An evil grin. On his face. She can't believe. This is happening.

I kid you not-- that was the style. And I heard that script sold for a lot.

Comment

Jack

This is not new. Whether to fit your sentences on a stamp or spin them around the globe several times (done by another Jack writer, by the way, among others) - it's old stuff of the 50's, 60's, and 70's, when experimental writing (practiced mainly by emerging American short story writers and novelists) lived its golden era.

Comment

I hate the Ron Bass style of writing. It strikes me as cutesy and causes me to stop reading. Then people imitate it, and other people imitate those people.

Character.
                  Story.
                  Good dialogue.
                  Essential actions.

Those are the four things to strive for.

Comment

On another note, has anyone read the "Taking Lives" script. Now there was a distinct style:
                    He approaches. An evil grin. On his face. She can't believe. This is happening.
                    I kid you not-- that was the style. And I heard that script sold for a lot.
                    Maybe that's how he really talks. He walked into the pitch meeting...

Good afternoon gentlemen. I have a script. That will make. Us all rich. And I think. Angelina Jolie. Should play the lead. And by the way. Can I get. Something to drink. Because I. Am so damn thirsty.

Comment

I like the Ron Bass thing.
                      I can see how it would be totally annoying if we all did it. But I liked it when I read his.

Comment

But I would think that this sort of thing would be generally frowned upon for unproven screenwriters?
                        I don't think so, if the unproven screenwriter in question can do it well. See, the thing is, Ron Bass can get away with that, not because he's a pro and can do whatever he wants (as many would have you believe) but because that style comes naturally to him and he does it well. It's HIM. His way of communicating on the page. If that sort of thing comes naturally to you, go for it. If not, don't try to emulate it just because a screenwriter you admire does it, or else it'll read like sh!t.

(btw, I'm not a big fan of Bass's style)

Think about it this way, using Shane Black as an example:

Shane Black has a very distinct, lively, staccato prose style that makes use of chatty asides and "street language"/slang. He also has a unique way of formatting his action lines. That's him. It comes naturally to him. He does it very well. In fact, chatty asides to the reader have been dubbed Shane Blackisms because of him. He's written that way since he was a "newbie."

Bruce Joel Rubin has more of a straightforward screenwriting style. If Rubin went a little nuts and started emulating Shane's style in one of his scripts, it would be cheesy, at best. More than likely unreadable. Because that's not his style. It doesn't come naturally to him. Would it fvck up his career? Probably not. But I imagine Rubin's agent would take Rubin into his office, close the door, and recommend that he not do that again. Or seek help.

Now, if Bruce Joel Rubin were an unknown writer and he tried (and failed) to emulate Black's style? He wouldn't get very far. Not because he would be a newbie doing something a little weird with his prose, but because his script would be a frustrating read. It wouldn't be a "Bruce Joel Rubin" script, it would be a "Bruce Joel Rubin trying to emulate Shane Black and failing miserably" script, only in the eyes of the industry it would be a "newbie trying to emulate Shane Black and failing miserably" script. You get the point.

Comment

^ I agree and commend you on your eloquent first post. :smokin

It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it follows general guidlines- just do it well and don't try to be something you're not.

Comment

And don't listen to people who say "only So-and-So can get away with that. We can't because we're not So-and-So."

Do what works for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X