Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cliches

Go Into the Story has posted "The Definitive List of Cliched Dialogue": http://www.gointothestory.com/2010/0...-dialogue.html

This blogger says that Joyce Carol Oates would not tolerate any cliches from her students: http://juliebush.net/what-you-need-t...ut-cliche.html

What are some of your favorite cliches?

When is it okay to use a cliche? Is it possible to be totally original, especially in a business that lives on the mantra of "unique but familiar"?

Thoughts, opinions, prophesies?

Oh, and how do you put an accent on the e?

BTW, here's a cliche finder engine I found: http://www.westegg.com/cliche/
    Nobody's perfect.

Re: Cliches

I avoid cliches like the plague.

Comment

It would seem exceedingly easy in these modern times, to avoid the plague.

Comment

Clichés are time savers like stereotypes. If I need an accountant, I call a Jew. If I need a gardener, I call a Mexican. I don’t have the time for equal opportunity hiring.

If I need to convey something fast without being creative or thinking, I turn to a cliché. I used "deer in headlights" in my last script but I took it out.
        Last edited by NatachaVonBraun; 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM.
        Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
          Cliché's are time savers like stereotypes. If I need an accountant, I call a Jew. If I need a gardener, I call a Mexican. I don't have the time for equal opportunity hiring.

If I need to convey something fast without being creative or thinking, I turn to a cliché.
          But if you employed a bit of imagination, a Mexican accountant would charge you less and allocate most of your income in the cash, under-the-table column, while opening an account South of the Border in pesos to avoid Uncle Sam.

Don't be lazy, girl!
          Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by umo View Post
            But if you employed a bit of imagination, a Mexican accountant would charge you less and allocate most of your income in the cash, under-the-table column, while opening an account South of the Border in pesos to avoid Uncle Sam.

Don't be lazy, girl!
            You're smart. Can I be your friend or at least your pet?

In an attempt to get back on topic...

Most of the cliches on Scott's list people use in real life conversation.
            Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I have a friend (Okay, it's me. Partially anyway) who has repeatedly shot himself in the foot by trying too hard to avoid cliches. I mean, it got to the point of being incomprehensible.
              Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Deus Ex Machine's posts on this topic always fascinated me. Here's a good one:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...che#post134965

Comment

Originally posted by JRS3 View Post
                  I have a friend (Okay, it's me. Partially anyway) who has repeatedly shot himself in the foot by trying too hard to avoid cliches. I mean, it got to the point of being incomprehensible.
                  Your post would have been more successful if you had avoided that cliche or at least spun it on its head.

How about, "repeatedly shot himself in the balls"?
                  QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                    Your post would have been more successful if you had avoided that cliche or at least spun it on its head.

How about, "repeatedly shot himself in the balls"?
                    Touche. Damn it, another cliche.
                    Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                      Deus Ex Machine's posts on this topic always fascinated me. Here's a good one:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...che#post134965
                      I like this. Thanks.
                      Nobody's perfect.

Comment

The best way to turn a cliche into something fresh, is to add ******* or bitch to the end of it.

Comment

I'd like to pass comment but if I did I'd have to kill you all.
                          ________
                          BLOWJOB DEEPTHROAT
                          Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:11 AM.
                          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I would comment in this thread but I'm getting too old for this ****.
                            The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

Can't avoid it. The best one can hope for is to create an interesting approach to a cliche. At the very least, write it well. I love when teachers tell their students to avoid cliches, mainly because that's an immensely backwards way of teaching. I had one professor that was so obsessed with avoiding cliches that even her critiques had become a gibberish mess that nobody could decipher. Know them, use them, and shape them to your will. You can have originality, but you're not likely to create a new plot that's never been seen before.

Comment

Working...
                              X