Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being crass

is there a limit on cuss words or what kinds shouldn't be used? i'm using my character's colorful language to indicate his true low origins by "hearing them" at the same time he's being visually "seen" as classy. i plan to go into his upbringing at a future point in the story when he identifies with another character.

any advice, thanks!
    life happens
    despite a few cracked pots-
    and random sunlight

Re: being crass

Depends on your target rating & audience, and the tone you're aiming at, I'd say. Raunchy bathroom-humor R-rated comedy, have at it. PG or PG-13 action story, you can actually do a fair amount of cussing in PG-13 movies as long as you stay away from certain words. This might be useful, although it's Wikipedia.
    Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
      Depends on your target rating & audience, and the tone you're aiming at, I'd say. Raunchy bathroom-humor R-rated comedy, have at it. PG or PG-13 action story, you can actually do a fair amount of cussing in PG-13 movies as long as you stay away from certain words. This might be useful, although it's Wikipedia.
      thank you, this is helpful. my rating was at pg but now i'm in rewrite and it's heading for a pg-13. characters rarely cuss, but this character in particular is somewhat crass.

thanks again.
      life happens
      and random sunlight

Comment

model him after joe biden
        classy people use cuss words as if they're just normal words... no emphasis on them whatsoever.

and i thought you were talking about some responses to posts around here - lol!

Comment

Good to know. I don't mean to hijack the thread but as I am writing an action/horror can I have as much swearing as I want or is there a limit.

Alsorts of gruesome stuff happens so I am guessing it is more appropriate for over 18's.

But then again, we are for the most part just spec writers, so how do we know age rating our scripts are? If some producer was to buy the script couldn't thye adjust it the films material to suit any age range they want?

And if so, should we worry about swaering in scripts?

Comment

for PG-13, you are allowed one f**k by the rating board, and it can only be used as an exclamation, not to refer to sexual activity.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
              model him after joe biden
              classy people use cuss words as if they're just normal words... no emphasis on them whatsoever.

and i thought you were talking about some responses to posts around here - lol!
              hehe... it does get kinda colorful around here at times, but i was definitely referring to my script, lol.
              life happens
              and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                for PG-13, you are allowed one f**k by the rating board, and it can only be used as an exclamation, not to refer to sexual activity.
                This is not consistent. PG-13 rated movies can and have gotten away with more than one F-bomb. What Dreams May Come comes to mind right off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus9 View Post
                  This is not consistent. PG-13 rated movies can and have gotten away with more than one F-bomb. What Dreams May Come comes to mind right off the top of my head.
                  such a great movie nexus, i'd quite forgotten about this film. now i've got to pull it out and watch it again. robin williams... wow, i remember this story made me cry. was there swearing, really?

without setting this thread up for a monster list of cruddy words, do you know whether certain words are tagged to send a film to a higher restriction rating? the "c" word, "m-f", "c-s", "p", "d", "b", etc.? i'm fine with a pg-13, as the content later in my story would push it there anyway...

thanks!
                  life happens
                  and random sunlight

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
                    without setting this thread up for a monster list of cruddy words, do you know whether certain words are tagged to send a film to a higher restriction rating? the "c" word, "m-f", "c-s", "p", "d", "b", etc.? i'm fine with a pg-13, as the content later in my story would push it there anyway...

thanks!

I've resisted temptation since this thread started... temptation beat me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_dirty_words

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Nrp7cj_tM [warning warning warning R18]
                    ________
                    Prilosec pregnancy
                    Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:12 AM.
                    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asjah8 View Post
                      such a great movie nexus, i'd quite forgotten about this film. now i've got to pull it out and watch it again. robin williams... wow, i remember this story made me cry. was there swearing, really?
                      One of my favorite films from Robin Williams. And yup, two F words made it into the film (both said by Robin Williams). The film, even with that and the dark setting and tone, maintained a PG-13 rating.

Comment

Working...
                      X