Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here write novel fiction too?

Two completely different mediums, but I'm curious.

Before my spine basically fell apart a couple of years ago, I was fervently scribing an epic of misogyny, lust and bad-taste, all in the name of love (it's complicated), and where it's absolutely nothing like my screenplays, I went back to it the other day and loved it!

Now I'm wondering how others divide their time between the two very different modes of storytelling, with that one key joining theme.
    Also, are your scripts greatly different of subject and theme to your more literal works?

My back's fine now... a touch of arthritis and I can't sit all day like before, but I can still write. Thanks for the concern.
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Re: Anyone here write novel fiction too?

Screenwriting drives me to tears and self-loathing quite often, so when I need a morale boost, I do some real writing and work on my novel, short stories and essays. A lot of these have had their beginnings as "writing off the page- exercises. It's a lot more enjoyable work, that's for sure. The important thing is to write every day.
    Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

It's definitely more enjoyable! I also find it more rewarding - like I can express more, get even more creative (but then, a film is a screenplay with the director's, the cast's, the lighting, sound, photography, make-up, wardrobe and location scout's vision all coming to light from the blueprint, whereas a novel is fundamentally one mind having total creative control), but then, I also take a (sadistic) pleasure in solving the problems in the puzzle that is a screenplay.
      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Yep. Me too. And short fiction. I've been editing a lot of fiction lately, and teaching it, so it's driven me back to thinking about my own prose rather than scripts. Some nice bites, too, which feels good after so much frustration with screenwriting this past year or two.

(BTW, the editor in me dies a small death every time someone says "novel fiction" - when novels are always fiction. Sorry. But in honour of the departed Jake, I felt compelled to jump in. )

Nic
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

I wrote a novel before I started screenwriting and enjoyed the process very much. It was shortlisted by a publisher, but didn't make the cut.

A screenwriter friend then told me it would make a great movie, so I adapted it and enjoyed that process just as much.

I plan to go back to novels one day. I have an epic story in mind I think will be better suited to a novel than to a screenplay, but the time I would have to invest makes me hesitate. When I become a full time writer I will allocate some time.

I don't have a preference, but looking at the novel and script versions of the same story - my first effort at both forms - makes me think I'm better suited to scripts.
          TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

I started out writing novels (unpublished). My third one I turned into a script. Now, whenever I even think of writing a novel, the part of me that never liked writing description, rebels, and I pick up the newest screenplay project instead.
            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Played around with a little scifi ten years ago and had some nibbles from a local publisher but couldn't get the manuscript to a place where we were both happy. In retrospect it wasn't great work and had it sold it would have lead me down a wrong path.

Having said that several of my current ideas lend themselves towards being graphic novels. Its a pity I can't draw to save my life.
              ________
              Best Temperature For Extreme Q
              Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 07:15 AM.
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I write both and love both for the different joys / challenges they bring. Personally I would say writing novels is tougher.

I noticed that after writing several scripts and then going back and revising my novel for my editor, I just about gagged reading the past tense after all that time writing in the present tense.

But I got over it and am working on a new novel even as I'm writing a new script, and it's just a different pleasure. Definitely, playing with words and language is a much richer experience writing a novel. And it's nice to be able to get into a character's head.

Comment

A former member of this very board ditched screenwriting to write novels (actually, return to writing novels) and is now a published author up for an award.

The lesson? Fuck screenwriting. Write novels.

And be as flippin' amazing at it as he is.

Comment

I've been playing with the idea of writing a novel.
                    Excedrin Migraine. Red Bull. Fade in.

Sinister Scrawlings

Comment

I've been playing with my penis.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                        I've been playing with my penis.
                        Should you ever play with the idea of writing a novel, you should play with the idea of titling it exactly that.
                        Last night, Jesus appeared to me in a dream and told me that loving me is the part of His job He hates the most.

Comment

I've done enough short stories to know attempting a novel is not in my future. It's both enjoyable and frustrating. See, I'm sure what everyone here likes is, when you complete a short story or novel, you actually have a completed product. You accomplished something. You can pass it around for friends to read and enjoy. Sure it may or may not make you money, but it's physically something. A reason why short films are fun as well. You actually created something real.

Screenplays, it's different obviously. While it's fun to read screenplays, I don't find them *real.* It's more like a glorified outline for an end product than a real product itself. Unless it sells and is produced, you didn't actually create anything. It's like an architect spending time drawing up blue prints for a building that never gets built. You can pass it along to your friends for them to say "oh cool!" or give feedback, but it's still not its own thing. So there's more instant gratification in novel/short story type writing. It's done, finished, to hell if it sells I'll just put it on my website, etc.

But I like screenwriting more. Mostly because, when it comes to a story, I like:

Building unique characters
                          Creating memorable dialogue
                          Crafting a captivating story with twists and turns

And really, the writing it takes to put together an elegant novel has too much filler and gets away from what I want to do above. I don't want to read pages that describe every detail of a room, for instance. It's much easier with two action lines in a screenplay, then get to the good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NatachaVonBraun View Post
                            Should you ever play with the idea of writing a novel, you should play with the idea of titling it exactly that.
                            How am I supposed to NOT you?

It's impossible.

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post

And really, the writing it takes to put together an elegant novel has too much filler and gets away from what I want to do above. I don't want to read pages that describe every detail of a room, for instance.
                              If don't want to spend five pages describing a room, you don't have to. It's your novel

Comment

Working...
                              X