Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening scripts

I wrote a macro in MS Word that adds lines to a page by reducing the white space between paragraphs. Depending on how white the page is, it'll add up to three lines (it sometimes won't tighten a page of pure action). It doesn't change the font, the margins, the leading, or anything other than the spacing between paragraphs. It tightens each space only a tiny bit at a time, and it tightens the biggest white spaces first. When it's done, the page looks totally normal. You can't tell.

I normally only use it on those pages where adding an extra line or two would pull up a big dialogue block or the final line of a scene from the next page. You can go through a complete script in abut 20 minutes, and easily lose a page or two in the process. Unlike the tightening options in programs like Final Draft, you only use it on the pages that need it, you only add the number of lines you need, and it doesn't change the look of the script at all.

This thing works so well, I predict it'll soon become a standard in the industry, Final Draft et al will add the feature to future versions, and the vaunted 1 page=1 minute rule will be changed to 1 page=62 seconds.

Blasphemy! Burn the heretic!

Why would "the industry" adopt this? Is there a worldwide paper crisis looming? Will we soon be wearing T-shirts proclaiming, "Save a page today!" ?

-Derek
    -----------------------
    One of the many reasons you should never listen to dpat ~PipeWriter

Comment

E=Mc2

Err. Nick...um...you might want to check out the CHEAT function on Movie Magic. Where you can cheat ELEMENT or PAGE or SCRIPT (the entire thing) ...

www.screenplay.com

I'm not a Final Draft user, but I'm sure that by the time you read this, someone who is, will have pointed out that FD can do these things too.

I mean...good idea an' all...but you haven't exactly invented a cure for cancer, dude.

Comment

Are there those of you (not just nickj) who concern yourselves with this? Do you imagine pros making these types of adjustments?

The disadvantage with Sophocles (not being WYSIWYG) is you can't make these types of "corrections".

The advantage with Sophocles is you can't make these types of "corrections" and are only left to be concerned about story.

If your story is too long - cut.

Cherish the white space!!! Let the words fall where they may!!!

Comment

There's a column on Wordplayer about this, and it says yes, the pros do try to fudge.

Comment

Have to agree with Two Brad. If your screenplay is too lengthy, tighten it up the old fashioned way... editing. Regardless of the false page number you may produce, if it's to long and wordy, it will remain a long cumbersome read.

Comment

Jealous?

Okay, I can see you guys took this way too seriously.
              I didn't set out to shorten the script, just wanted to get rid of big white spaces on the bottom of a few pages. The fact that it went from 116 pages to 114 was a bonus.

Comment

I didn't set out to shorten the script, just wanted to get rid of big white spaces on the bottom of a few pages. The fact that it went from 116 pages to 114 was a bonus.
                Sorry, I totally misunderstood your rationale.

Actually, in MS Word, you can go into FORMAT, PARAGRAPH and then turn the MOTHER/ORPAN funtion OFF (think it's Mother/Orphan -- definitely something like that. I haven't used it in a long time, but I used to teach courses on it) and it will accomplish the same thing. Otherwise, Word won't break up paragraphs. Hence the large amount of white space at the bottom of the page.

Comment

I never cheat spacing on scripts, but I will share the following experience:

A couple of years ago I was rewriting a script for a prodco. Their first note was to get ten pages out of the script (it was 118 at the time). At the time I was using Final Draft, and it was crashing every time I tried to save the script. I ordered Movie Magic Screenwriter.

I converted the script to MMS, and it came up at 106 pages. Before I had changed a thing. It still looks perfectly fine. A friend who reads at Dreamworks said it didn't look like I had cheated anything.

I will not be returning to Final Draft.

kullervo

Comment

Final Draft will allow you to change the length.
                    If you change fonts.

Most times scripts will begin in courier font
                    (in Final Draft, tho you can set what font you
                    want to use). I found different fonts shortened a script
                    from 117 pgs to 109 using Garamond.

Likewise in Times Roman at 120, Ariel leveled it at
                    100. Ariel being standard is good, but,

Garamond "looks" so much more like professional scripts.

and it doesn't really cheat pages either. More like it compacts
                    them while leaving the formatting and the block letters are easy to view and to read.

Comment

Scripts should only be written in courier/courier new, 12 point, 10 pitch.

If a reader sees any other font from a new scribe. it will undoubtedly get tossed.

C

Comment

I don't know about "automatically tossed" but he/she/it will definitely know you're fudging, and do you need that? Even in the magazine and book worlds they want Courier 12 pt, because they know exactly how it scans for length. I don't think you want to differentiate yourself from the "standard script" in this way; let your writing be the standout.

My Writing Is Not In Courier

Comment

In MS word to change the line spacing all you have to do is go to FORMAT>PARAGRAPH>LINE SPACING and set it to "exactly 12pt" for proper line spacing. You can set it to 11.9, 11.8, 11.5 or whatever you want if you feel the need to compress the size of your blank lines. Every dedicated screenwriting app already allows you to do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X