No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• action during credits

Not sure if this has been covered yet or not:

How would one write in action to occur during the credits sequence?

I have this dark comedy in which a man loses a finger. I want to put in a sequence where his dog finds the finger and takes it out to the backyard to bury. As there would be no dialogue, it would be ideal to simply have the credits roll over it. How would I make that apparent in the script?

Mike

I'm no expert, so take my reply with a grain of salt. However, I don't think credits are something you would normally put into a spec script. Just write the action scene in where you want it and if the director decides to, he/she can put credits there. Or maybe they will just let it play out as written.

IMHO, this is not the job of the writer.

- Larry

Comment

My intentions weren't to write in the actual credits. Simply to transition out of the script and into the action. I.E:

THE END

As credits roll, the dog, hairy and wet, clambers out of the bucket and into the kitchen. He sniffs around looking for food. Finding a bowl of soup left behind on the counter, he climbs up and knocks it over, unveiling the hidden finger.

This, of course, isn't how it would actually be written. It's simply an example of what I'm wondering about.

Comment

Just write the story and let TPTB worry about the title and credit sequences if any.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I'll just write it in and opt not to mention the credits.

Much appreciated.

Mike

Comment

It IS possible to specify what you envision under the credits. I've seen it in lots of places, and it usually is a variation on

ROLL CREDITS

...action

END CREDITS

along with the ever-popular ROLL CREDITS OVER action

As Deus implies, it may be completely ignored, and if it isn't specifically important, leave it out.

Comment

Not suggesting I would bother myself with the credits, but consider this:

........................................... FADE OUT:

FADE IN:

The dog, hairy and wet, clambers out of the bucket and into the kitchen. He sniffs around looking for food. Finding a bowl of soup left behind on the counter, he climbs up and knocks it over, unveiling the hidden finger.

........................................... FADE OUT.

Comment

Just write the scene as you would any other - they decide where the credits go.

It's not unusual to have a scene with no dialogue - just actions. In fact, you'll probably have a whole bunch of those (or there may be only a line or two of dialogue in the whole scene).

- Bill

Comment

I am a professional writer. I've seen all kinds of scripts written with the writer's idea of how, when, and where the credits should be displayed. Yes the director may or may not stick to your plan, but he won't, as others may lead you to believe, be insulted. He'll either do it your way or not.

It's that simple.

And oh yeah, the director may also be a she. Or, in some small cases, transgender.

Comment

Hey, "Emmy" I just wanted to say that's the greatest name I've seen yet. Too cool. :rollin

Comment

Thanks. It was either that, or "God of all Artists".

Comment

Martell has the most useful advice, but if you really want to include the credits, Stinger has a good suggestion for the logical way.

Comment

Working...
                        X