Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pro advice

I've gotten several read requests for my latest Spec, getting about a 20% request rate to queries -- so far.

The last request I got was for a 2 page synopsis AND a 5 page treatment.

Never written a treatment, but have seen a few and have read a few articles about them over the past year or so. I have both FD and Screenwriter 2000 -- so I go looking for a template. FD has a treatment template which looks exactly like a regular old synopsis.

As I recall, a treatment describes the characters -- back story and arc -- in a paragraph for each main character; the plot in a paragraph; then it hits on each scene in a paragraph each, describing the dramatic narrative thread. Does this sound right?

I've seen treatments that are little more than an depth synopsis, as well as the above described type. Since this company is asking for both a synopsis and a treatment, I assume they are looking for two different documents.

Any input concerning treatment elements, or what they may be looking for, is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ap

Not a pro, but I have a question:

Is your THE CORONER script the one you'll be sending out?

Comment

Just be glad they didn't ask for a 5 page synopsis AND a 2 page treatment.

Basically, what works for me:

SYNOPSIS
      No dialogue. Just describe what is happening and what the characters are doing. Include all the major elements (turning points, twists) of the story.

TREATMENT
      Same as a synopsis, but expanded to include the motivation of the characters (how they feel, what they want, objectives, arc).

There's no clear and exact way to do either. But since you were asked for both, this is how I would make them different.

Comment

Synopsis = main beats of the character's journey focusing on the main plot.

Treatment = the above plus more detail using a few smaller beats in the main plot and subplots to better illustrate the main character's journey.

Comment

Not a pro, but I have a question:

Is your THE CORONER script the one you'll be sending out?
          No it isn't. THE CORONER is an older script that I'm about to do a rewrite on. Why do you ask?

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I was interested in hearing from you about the responses you get. That's all.

Comment

Deus:

The fact that a treatment contains a synopsis, or is an expanded/enhanced synopsis, is part of my confusion.

Why are they asking for both if a treatment gives everything a synopsis would? It makes me think there is some type of difference I'm missing.

Thanks for the responses.

Ap

Comment

The fact that a treatment contains a synopsis, or is an expanded/enhanced synopsis, is part of my confusion.

Why are they asking for both if a treatment gives everything a synopsis would? It makes me think there is some type of difference I'm missing.
                  I agree, doesn't make sense to me.

Call them and ask what they actually want. (Makes more sense then asking "others" on a message board.)

Comment

I've gotten several read requests for my latest Spec, getting about a 20% request rate to queries
                    Side note: This is an awesome hit rate...congrats! Good luck with the project.

Comment

Need pro advice

Like most writers on this board I'm no pro, but from what I can gather your treatment should be a kind of short story version of your screenplay written in paragraph style with dialogue set in inverted commas. Michael Hauge's book: Writing Screen Plays That Sell has a great 8 page sample treatment on page 291 (UK version) that is worth looking at.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Comment

Not a pro. But they might be asking for both because it's easier to read two pages than five, especially if the story isn't what they're after.

If you think in terms of dozens and dozens of stories to sort through, the difference between two pages and five pages could be staggering by the end of a week.

But if they like the two, they'll read the five. If they like that then they'll feel it's worth the time investment to read the script.

Comment

This thread is four-and-a-half months old. Variety reported last month that Ap Jones has been signed to a 10-picture deal worth $75 million and incentives. He's forgotten about us already.

Nice work, team.

Comment

This one's probably around 4-5 pages:

ourworld.compuserve.com/h...pricef.txt

- Bill

Comment

ap jones

never send treatments unless they are requested at a face to face meeting. even then tell the guy to get off his lazy ass and read entire script

zilla

Comment

Working...
                              X