Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you suck and may not know it!

I was reading Errol Morris' excellent blog where in a series of articles on anosognosia, he discusses the phenomenon of inflated self-perception and self-denial.

It made me think of all those awful singers during tryouts for American Idol, not the obviously bad-on-purpose ones, but those kids who really believe they can sing, when they can't.

And it brought to mind a comment/question from Jeff Lowell in another thread on DD:

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
    Again, not aimed at you, but... if one doesn't know the answer, why be authoritative? Some of the advice I see doled out to screenwriters is actually harmful. Bad business advice, bad craft advice... Why do people do it?
    DAVID DUNNING: Here's a thought. The road to self-insight really runs through other people. So it really depends on what sort of feedback you are getting. Is the world telling you good things? Is the world rewarding you in a way that you would expect a competent person to be rewarded? If you watch other people, you often find there are different ways to do things; there are better ways to do things. I'm not as good as I thought I was, but I have something to work on. Now, the sad part about that is - there's been a replication of this with medical students - people at the bottom, if you show them what other people do, they don't get it. They don't realize that what those other people are doing is superior to what they're doing. And that's the troubling thing. So for people at the bottom, that social comparison information is a wonderful piece of information, but they may not be in a position to take advantage of it like other people.
    Depressing, maybe, but certainly food for thought.

Re: Why you suck and may not know it!

When I first heard of this some years ago I thought it certainly explains some bosses I've had over the years. Idiots promote idiots and then the new idiots think, My title is manager. They're paying me a manager's salary. I must be real darn smart.

Comment

Ha! So true!

On a side note, I feel that anosognosia is entirely the wrong term, and we should stick to delusional.

On another side note - I've asked this before but to no effect - how do you get the anchor tags to work (ex. how you've made the Wikipedia link be the actual word)?
      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

This part:

"- people at the bottom, if you show them what other people do, they don't get it. They don't realize that what those other people are doing is superior to what they're doing. And that's the troubling thing. "

According to my corporate clients, who have a really tough time with the quality of new college grads they hire - happens all the time.

There is a secret crisis in corporate America. Young people coming out of impressive universities, with very poor skills, poor common knowledge skills. Poor general workplace skills. And yet they think they're great, fantastic - they should be running the place! And most think they have nothing to learn.

Food for thought.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
          On another side note - I've asked this before but to no effect - how do you get the anchor tags to work (ex. how you've made the Wikipedia link be the actual word)?
          Highlight the word first, then click the "Insert Link" button.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
            Highlight the word first, then click the "Insert Link" button.
            Yup. There's a little globe and chain icon in the toolbar.

Comment

My issue is that I'm great but others don't know it.

Comment

A globe and chain?
                Right, gotcha, thanks.

Still, even though I'm grateful, I'm a little disappointed as I thought you were all using coding tags, and the ones I've tried have never worked.
                Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
                  I'm a little disappointed as I thought you were all using coding tags, and the ones I've tried have never worked.
                  nerd alert.

Comment

This is all because kids these days text too much.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Dunning-Kruger Effect

Comment

Originally posted by jimjimgrande View Post
                        Great link. Thanks.

Comment

I second guess every word I type on the page. But... when someone (producer/director/manger/agent) thinks it's good, it only makes Lil Lucha flex, and doesn't get into my head.
                          2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Comment

it's also a form of self-preservation -- the coping mechanisms one needs to prevent emotional trauma and realizing that what we write (or anything we do) is crap.

sometimes this goes into overdrive when people post their scenes or loglines or ideas on here and half the people like it, half the people don't. they choose which side they want to listen to the most... go crazy fighting the people who don't get their stuff or ignore them and only hear what the people who like their stuff have to say.

Comment

It's not only applicable to aspiring screenwriters and American Idol contestants; it the same delusion that lets fat chick's clad themselves in skin tight lycra, most politicians run for office and why 90% of new businesses fail within the first year.

There may be a movie there Anosognosia's Anonymous... I guess that would have to be a comedy, drama would be too tragic
                              ________
                              LAMBORGHINI LMA002 HISTORY
                              Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 08:19 AM.
                              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X