Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering

Hi guys, well I'm just about to begin jotting down idea's for a new script and I was just wondering, are there any copyright issuses if you were to mention bands and songs in a script, as in dialogue?

Like if characters were discussing their favorite groups?

The fair use act or what ever its called shows fairly well that if it were a spoof then their wouldnt be any legal issues, but dialogoe mentioning them isnt a spoof.

I know that if I were to put lyrics in then that would make problems because there are legal issues there, but refferances of a band and their songs?

You can mention things that exist. I mean, the news couldn't happen if it needed clearance to mention bands, actors, shows, etc. The world would be E!-less!!!! Go ahead and name them, but just don't write them as characters unless you've got a) permission or b) a damn good lawyer.

Blog That Does Mention People By Name, But Only Colin Farrell, Viggo Mortensen, and Peter Jackson.

Comment

In general anything like this just write it and let the studio legal dept worry about it after it's been bought. Unless the name of the band/product/company/person is essential to the story and the movie wouldn't work without it then no one is going to turn down a script because you mentioned Mickey Mouse on page 47.

Once it's going into production they will tell you what hasn't cleared and has to be changed.

Comment

Working...
      X