Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small casts...

I'm writing a movie with a small cast... 6 actors, in fact. There are no extras as the movie takes place in a secluded locale. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the claustrophobia of such a set up and if anyone could cite any examples of a movie with similar cast numbers.

Thank you.
    theturaround

THE BIG CHILL?

Comment

Thanks WC - I thought of some movies along those lines, but they open up with some scenes like the funeral, with extras.

This is my micro budget, one (2million sq. foot) location thriller. I'm just wondering if I really need to work in some more actors or not.

* edited to add - I'm planning on making this myself.

Thanks~
      theturaround

Comment

Check out TAPE, directed by Richard Linklater, written by Stephen Belber, and starring Robert Sean Leonard, Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman.

Comment

BOUND

Comment

re

If cast of 6 and only one location works, then I think that's great.

If it's not needed, why would you want to add more?

I thnk it's best to always always start as small as possible and add only as needed.

Comment

Everybody's

The Blair Witch Project

Four folk go into a wood with a hi-8 camera and make possibly the worst movie I've even wasted the ticket price on -- followed by much hype and the film goes mega.

Though that was a one off.

The small cast like yours is roughly par for almost every me-and-my-friends video-film being made today. And amongst those the secluded locale thing is pretty much par too.

Though of course you're not restricted to 6 parts... with doubling up etc you could have any number.

Good luck

Comment

Re: Everybody's

reservoir dogs had maybe more than 6 total, but i think worked on the same principle. frankly i think the minimalism and exigencies created by the budget and location restrictions can make for something pretty interesting. good luck with that.

Comment

evil dead
                  alien
                  28 days later (for the first 1/2)
                  session 9
                  the others
                  straw dogs
                  bubba ho-tep

sure, some of them break away from the "one location" thing, but most of them, particularly straw dogs and alien, use isolation and claustrophobia to heighten the movie experience.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input and encouragement. Session 9 is possibly the closest comparison in terms of staging, but the plot of that movie suffered considerably in the editing process.

Thanks again~
                    theturnaround

Comment

Deterrence with Kevin Pollak. Takes place in a snowed-in diner. Speaking of snowed in, how about The Shining, or Misery?

Comment

This one was originally for USA Network - and contains a small cast and limited locations...

ourworld.compuserve.com/h.../trust.txt

I *would* take it out of that one location, "open it up" - but that doesn't require more people.

If you're looking at micro budget stuff, look at the first film John Sayles directed - RETURN OF THE SECAUCAS SEVEN. It's like THE BIG CHILL, but on a budget of 60K (35mm).

- Bill

Comment

Cube springs to mind. Small cast, no supporting cast or extras, one location.

Killing cast of one by one does change the dynamics of the group, do your six all make it to the end?

Comment

Lifeboat
                            Knife in the Water
                            Dead Calm
                            Open Water

Comment

the hole with the added bonus of kiera knightly naked.

Comment

Working...
                              X