Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need some help

ok i am writing a script about a guy writing a script and he wants to turn it in to an agency but has a fear of rejection.

well i am not sure how the process goes. when u finish a script and want somebody important to read it ,like an agent, and get it out in the public. how would you go about doing that

T.Baxley

There are lots of books on the subject. Have you read any?

If not, you can start here:

www.scriptsales.com/DDBooks.html

Comment

The Art of War

Okay, that guy should aim his arrows high. Although the long-shots are more likely to miss, he might get lucky and hit a veteran right in the eye. But also get him to aim his arrows low to get the inexperienced cannon fodder crawling in the mud. But make sure he isn't afraid to actually go out there, do some leg work, and become immersed in the battle. Who knows, he might fight all the way through.

Just my opinions

Comment

re

You could write a script about a guy who writes a script and doesn't know where to go with it and asks for advice on an internet screenwriting site.

Comment

i need some help

Hi tubax,

It won't take long before someone tells you to pick another subject for your first spec script. So I might as well be the one.

You may have been inspired by the movie ADAPTATION, written by a pro (Charlie Kaufman) who gets away with virtually anything he writes (like writing about writing his own script) because of his amazing skills and world reputation, but that's about it.

Industry people will tell you that the subject stinks and has absolutely no appeal to any producer, especially if proposed by a beginner (like you, myself, or other struggling newbie in this vast sea of creative minds).

Among the millions of subjects available in this world, why pick the one that concerns the life and blood of every damn writer in town? A subject so used and abused?

If you're going to amount anything as a writer in the future, be bolder and wiser and pick something new now, something fresh and exciting that means a lot to you - but not "writing" or "the process of getting a script nailed and sold!

That's everybody's dream and nightmare here in Hollywood! Something we don't want to see repeated on the silver screen!

At least not me.

But that's my opinion only.

Comment

i need some help

Among the millions of subjects available in this world, why pick the one that concerns the life and blood of every damn writer in town? A subject so used and abused?
            I loved Adaptation. Not just for the writer doing the writer thing, but because I had read the book before it was to be turned into a movie and all I could say was, "How the f--- will this be done?"

Next to Adaptation, there is only one really good movie about a writer and his struggles and failures in the business, Sunset Boulevard.

So, unless you have a really interesting story to go along with what everyone who writes full or part time, then shelve it. Because unless you have something interesting to say, then your script is going to suck.

Comment

Re: i need some help

Next to Adaptation, there is only one really good movie about a writer and his struggles and failures in the business, Sunset Boulevard.
              What about Barton Fink?

Comment

I get that your script is fake - a way to ask the question

1) Write all of them letters.
                2) Call them, too.
                3) Find people you know who may be able to help you.
                4) Get to know people who can help you.
                5) Make sure the script is really great, then just leave a copy somewhere (this is kind of how I sold the script that got me to Hollywood - I gave a copy to a girl I knew and wanted to know better).
                6) Go to places where there are movie people - like film festivals.
                7) Make a cardboard sign and stand outside Paramount.
                8 ) Kill people on the orders of your dog, and when they catch you, tell them you also write scripts.
                9) Find photos of David Geffen sleeping with a *woman* and blackmail him into reading your script.
                10) Make your own movie and get it into festivals and stuff and when a distributor buys it, sell them a script.

Hope that helps.

- Bill

Comment

i need some help

I loved Barton Fink - story and acting. Very intriguing. It grabbed me from the beginning...unusually slow moving story and yet so powerful...all the way till the end.

But Barton, if I remember, is a serious, emerging eastcoast playwright turned Hollywood screenwriter almost against his wishes. What follows is his struggle to adapt to this "mechanized filmmaking environment" we all know so well and his failure to timely write anything remotely close to what the big brass prescribes. In his mind, trash.

For better or worse his mind is also consumed by a seductive painting (showing a classy beach lady) in his hotel room and the real life stories of the next-door neighbor he befriends. Better for us, the audience, because it makes the movie so much richer. But worse for Barton, because in the end anything left in his heart to cherish goes up in smoke like a real inferno. Well, except the seductive beach girl.

I couldn't help remembering three great movies equally poignant in exposing some of the darkest aspects of Hollywood: THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, NETWORK, and more recently THE PLAYER. 8)

Comment

Working...
                  X