Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Pages, Pink Pages?

Recently I was able to get my hands on a copy of THE TAILOR OF PANAMA. It was labeled FINAL DRAFT, however it contained some caveats on the cover page and within the actual script - BLUE PAGES, PINK PAGES. Can somebody clue me in here? I'm guessing the copy I have is from when the script was either in development or pre-pro? Either way, I rented the film and the script varies pretty significantly from the completed film - which is not that surprising of course.

One other strange bit - the copy of the script I have seems vastly overwritten, with tons of description in the action AND narrative describing character's thoughts and motivations. This goes against everything I understand about good writing. It was hard to navigate and read almost like a novel in some parts. I disliked the script which is probably why I disliked the film. Is it possible that the descriptions and character "thoughts" where inputted after the FINAL DRAFT was created to aid the director (seems wrong)? Do I just have a weird copy?

Thoughts?

Haven't read or seen "Tailor" but 'colored' pages in general usually indicate production revisions. In the draft circulated among the production, the blue pages would literally be light blue, pink pages would be pink, etc.

Comment

Every draft during development is presented on white pages. Once a production draft is agreed on, each draft after that is then presented in different colors. Let's say the last draft was pink. But in the next draft pages 25-28 and pages 56-63 needs to be rewritten. The new pages of 25-28 and 56-63 will be presented in blue pages and slipped in place of the old pink pages. By the end of the shoot, the script pages will consist of numerous colors.

Comment

colored pages?

What if you're color blind? How did Lassy cope? Actually, why not use a number in the footer? Colors will quickly repeat. (the old pink vs. the new pink).

Comment

Blue Pages, Pink Pages

The Tailor of Panama was a poor rendition of Le Carre's worst book. I can't imagine using its script as anything except a cautionary tale of what not to do.

Comment

Re: Blue Pages, Pink Pages

I thought color revisions were only used in TV scripts. There we go, you learn something new every day.

EJ

Comment

Thanks everyone. All of my suspicions were confirmed.

And captmax - you are dead on. I've read over a hundred different scripts of finished films in the last couple of months, both bad and good pictures, and by far TAILOR was the worst script I've read. (I couldn't finish it) And as we all know; you can have a good script and a good film, a good script and a bad film, but it's almost impossible to have a bad script and a good film. Unless you and your movie star buddy write a piece of crap, then have it re-written for you. Then you get an Oscar.

Cheers!

Comment

Tony Rob's hidden feelings about that last post, cause secretly everythings about him.

Hey, wait. . . I have a friend, and we wrote a terrible screenplay wit me. Why, why you poking at me?

vinegar

Comment

:lol

Good tag, Dom.

Tony

Comment

I was wondering why my pages were posted here...then i realized blue pages meant something completely different.

now i know.

Comment

:lol at the fact that it took you almost a day to come up with that one, Blue.

Tony

Comment

No, i was waiting for the obligatory 8 replies that were related to the topic before, as usual, the thread degenerates.

Comment

How exactly is "Piss and Vinegar"'s post related to the topic?

Tony

Comment

Working...
                          X