No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Atta Boy!

mfd,

meetings are always useful for you. your'e getting to know people, they're getting to know you. you get to see if they're jerk offs, they get to see if you're a flunky. being more visible as a writer they'd someday maybe like to work with, is a good thing.

me kuehnl,

you are a writer and aren't expected to dress up during meetings. in fact you will find that producers are usually very casual themselves. go in what makes you look comfortable.

Comment

Relax and get to know the person you're meeting with. Ask him about him or herself. They've read your work and they like it. The point of the meeting is to make sure you don't drool, smell or throw things.

They will almost always ask "Where are you from?" because they don't know what the hell else to talk about. Ask how long s/he has been with the company and what s/he did before. Take an interest in them. If you can find something you're both interested in that's great. Look around the office for clues. Guys often have sports related stuff you can talk about, or if there are movie posters ask if they worked on the film or really liked it, etc.

As Crash said, be ready to talk about what you're working on now.

Give a thumbnail sketch that reveals character or theme and then get into a discussion of it. For example "as I writer I'm really interested in family dynamics" or "I'm drawn to action pictures because I really like visual storytelling" or whatever it is. This is where you make them realize that you are a real, bona fide writer with something to say. If it's something that grabs their interest as well, you've scored points.

Finally, don't expect a re-write assignment the next week. You're making contacts. Stay in touch. Send a thank you card. Be nice to the assistant and find out his/her name. You never know where these people are going.

real life example: I met with a producer on one of my scripts about a year and a half ago. I stayed in touch and when I was looking for a new agent I asked him if he could help. He gave my work to several people, including a manager who passed it to another manager who was looking for someone who could write film noir. That manager and I are now out pitching a project I created. (and being the shy person that I am, I of course agonized for days about calling the producer to ask him to help me. When I finally called he was perfectly happy to do it. So don't be shy.)

Comment

You all are the most helpful, genrous, kind people in the world !! You make me believe I could make it at any production company. Thank you so much for all your time !!

Comment

Working...
        X