Fellow Screenwriters How Do You Get Youre Ideas ?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow Screenwriters How Do You Get Youre Ideas ?

I was wondering how you screenwriters get youre ideas ?
    Post how you get them here.

Bye.

eavesdropping

paying attention to people

reading, reading, reading

half asleep while riding in
    car or plane

listening to music

being really bored somewhere
    I don't want to be

in the shower

falling asleep

listening to people's stories

funny, sad, weird things people do

thinking "Why...?"

Comment

They usually just pop into my head when I'm not even thinking about writing.

Comment

I watch the Omen and go from there.

Comment

YOURE IDEUZ R GONNA NEED A SPEL CHEKR

Da furst tang yor gonna ned fir youre ideuz, iz ta writ 'em down. den, your gonna knead a spel chekr ta mak shure u don't git sum lo levl reedr or assistunt tiked offf ayt u. gud luk

Comment

Re: YOURE IDEUZ R GONNA NEED A SPEL CHEKR

H.R. PuffnStuff. All my ideas come from H.R. PuffnStuff.

Comment

Get your ideas right here, step right up. First read every one of Fwuffy's posts, then try to figure out what the h*ll he's talking about. Then make up a story on what you think it is. I tell you, it works. I have Thor babies attacking wowsers, then stand-up comics writing schmaltze and being attacked by Tammy Faye Baker. I love DD! And no, Fwuffy, you don't get a cut.

Comment

This is why Writers need agents and the WGA...

Comment

I've got four single-spaced pages of ideas for future scripts, ranging in length from a couple of sentences to a couple of paragraphs. About 25 in all, and I can't pinpoint where more than three of 'em came from....

I think you just have to open yourself to ideas by reading lots of novels and scripts, watching lots of movies, and thinking a lot about writing. (And, of course, writing a lot.) Soon, you just start seeing random bits of information as story ideas....

Comment

*doesn't think fwuffy's the only one that watches the Omen and gets his ideas from that*

:lol :lol :lol

Comment

Wha?!

Comment

See, Merry One? Naudie gets my jokes...

Okay, on to a serious reply. I've never read good scripts from people who think that the realm of literacy stops at Buffy, Xena, and Dark Angel. Meaning that a lot of great stuff comes from old history, mythology, etc. Someone didn't just "make-up" Braveheart; William Wallace was a prominent figure in history. Same with Michael Collins. A lot of great drama comes from taking in an interest in parts of the world beyond Joss Whedon. If you don't, you write completely and utterly insipid crap like THE SECRET ADVENTURES OF JULES VERNE (anybody catch THAT piece of anti-cerebral refuse yet?).

Comment

Actually, I don't think that guy ever saw The Omen, until perhaps a day or so ago after we hounded him about it, and he walked into Blockbuster:
                          "Yeah, hi - I'm looking for this movie, I don't know if you've heard of it - it's called The Omen?"

To which, the workers at Blockbusters rolled on the floor laughing.

Now, to seriously respond, there's really no formula to "getting your ideas"...you just live life, watch, see how things work - if you're at a loss for ideas, take circumstances you've lived through, and work your way from there.

Another good thing to do is to take two previous ideas that are laying somewhere in idea-void and mesh 'em together to see what happens.

Comment

Oh, *that* Omen guy.

Took me a minute...maybe I just didn't catch on because, like Naudi, I'm not sure he ever saw The Omen, either.

Comment

Ideas

I get my ideas from the gremlins that I keep under my bed. I feed them stale bread from my cupboard to sustain them, and then, maybe once a week, a sheet of paper slips out from under the bed with an idea scrawled on it in tiny letters that I need a magnifying glass to read.

I don't know about these other folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X