Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing something when you're young.

Have you guys ever wrote something while you were still young? And how old are most of you guys? I'm asking because I wanna know how young a screenwriter can be when he starts.

Thanks!

A screenwriter doesn't have any age requirements on his job. Some start during High School, others don't start until they are in their late twenties or even beyond. Generally, the younger you are, the better, just because of Hollywood's prejudice to the age of it's writers.

I wrote my first feature-length script when I was 18. I'm now 22. I didn't write anything between when I was 18 and 20, and don't count that debacle of an aborted nightmare amongst my current "I've written _this many_ scripts." The younger you are, the better. You've got years and years ahead of you worth of learning, so you may as well start now.

Comment

I was about 15-16 when I started. If nothing else, study the craft and the business. Read every related book you can get your hands on.

Comment

Re: ....

I was 16 when I started. I'm nineteen now. I've completed four feature length scripts, each with various rewrites. A few others are lounging around in various stages of development.

I'm getting there, little by little...

Comment

It doesn't matter how old you are. Just remember you can always be better and that the first thing you write will look great when you finish it and horrible in five years. As long as you learn as you go, you are never too young or too old.

(I know, except in Hollywood where forty is old. but that's why you lie about your age.)

Comment

I decided I wanted to be a writer when I was 8 and I've been writing pretty much non-stop for the past 34 years.

Comment

I got my first typewritewr for three dollars when I was twelve, and haven't stopped since ... except to have heartbreaking affairs, get into trouble, go to college, drop out, go back to college, drop out again, move around, get a job, lose a job, get another, have good sex, watch great movies, read great books, have bad sex, have heartwarming affairs, watch terrible movies, read terrible books, and, in general, live life. No matter how young you are, if you have the inclination, you should write, but don't stop living to do it, otherwise, the resources from which you can draw your inspiration will be rather shallow and uninteresting. That's my opinion, anyway.

--RDJ

Comment

Believe it or not, I wrote my first screenplay when I was three. I wrote it in crayon in courier font. I guess you could say I was to screenwriting what Tiger Woods is to golf. So I definitely agree: the younger you are, the better. By the way, the screenplay I wrote when I was five was nominated for an Oscar. I cried for days when I lost. But my mommy and daddy took me to Chucky Cheese and made everything better.

Comment

I've completed one screenplay, a respectable first effort. I'm 14, been into this stuff for a while, and am starting my second soon.

Comment

Really?

Really? Well, I'm 14 and I'm working on my first screenplay!

Thanks for answering you guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X