Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Place To Write?

What is your favorite place to haul your laptop (or old school underwood ) and type your screenplay?

Coffee shop? Attic loft? At the bar?

Thought there could be an easy going fun topic for Christmas.
    2011 Screenwriting Goal: 15 pages a day.

Re: Favorite Place To Write?

When I was younger I had a great attic room in the folk's place. Lovely views of Dublin skyline from either side of the attic. Was great for writing...

Now I'm older, married (with kids) I'm lucky if I get a free space to write, and if I do, I'm usually looking at the back wall of some neighbour's house

Comment

I like to mix it up. I get bored with the same environment. Sometimes I'll do a library, other times a coffee shop, park, or bar.

It depends what I'm writing too. I have found that sometimes putting myself in a certain atmosphere helps me achieve what I want in a scene. For example, if I'm struggling with a scene in a hospital, I might go sit in a waiting room and write.

Comment

In my computer.
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I definitely can't write in public. I can't concentrate.

At home on my couch with the television barely up so it isn't totally quiet.
          Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

In the warmer months, I have a hammock on the side of the house.

Comment

Only sitting right here at my desk at night with Agalloch playing on itunes and my dog sleeping on the floor next to me.

Comment

I have a quiet house to work in, but I just can't write there. The evil TV is around or some cool Blues is playing and my mind starts to drift. So I make a tour of about 5-6 cafe's in SF to write at. For some reason I can tune out the distractions a these places, but not at my house.
                Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

Where it should be - at my desk.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Kids change everything. I used to write at home but now it's Starbucks because of their chairs.

Comment

I find that I think well in coffee shops, with no laptop but just a pen and notebook. I do most of my actual writing at home, at a desk that looks out onto a Rear Window-ish kind of courtyard, where squirrels and the occasional rabbit prance about (and rats, unfortunately. They're becoming a big problem in my neighborhood).

But I think next year I want to spend more time writing in coffee shops and discovering new places.

Comment

Originally posted by gravitas View Post
                        Kids change everything. I used to write at home but now it's Starbucks because of their chairs.
                        Exactly. I used to get up between 4 and 5 every morning and sit at the dining room table with my laptop. I'd get a lot done that way.

Now that my son is here, I'm lucky if I'm up in time to get ready for work, and it's much more difficult to get anything written at home. Just when I'm getting in the groove, he gets hungry or needs his diaper changed. Don't get me wrong -- I'm enjoying every minute of being a dad. But I get way more written when I'm in a coffee shop.

Oddly enough, it didn't used to work that way. I used to surf the internet a lot or eavesdrop when I wrote in public. Now, I think I realize how important that time is and I buckle down.
                        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Margaret Herrick Library or WGA Library.

Nice and quiet. Throw the earplugs on and write away. From time to time you'll get an old geezer who's hard of hearing and talks only above a megaphone.

"I want the script for BRIDGE OVER RIVER KWAI!!!! Do you have it?!!!!"
                          sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
                            Exactly. I used to get up between 4 and 5 every morning and sit at the dining room table with my laptop. I'd get a lot done that way.

Now that my son is here, I'm lucky if I'm up in time to get ready for work, and it's much more difficult to get anything written at home. Just when I'm getting in the groove, he gets hungry or needs his diaper changed. Don't get me wrong -- I'm enjoying every minute of being a dad. But I get way more written when I'm in a coffee shop.

Oddly enough, it didn't used to work that way. I used to surf the internet a lot or eavesdrop when I wrote in public. Now, I think I realize how important that time is and I buckle down.
                            My situation exactly haha. Pretty awesome when they fall asleep on your chest though. Or when they smile. My heart melts every time my son smiles. But yes, coffee shop or no pages. Have a wonderful holiday everyone.

Comment

I used to have a desk and a PC, but the PC died of old age and now I'm stuck on a laptop in the living room, seemingly unable to block out the cornucopia of distractions!

Sometimes I get lucky, but then it's past midnight, my mind's too tired after an hour and I'm whacked out the next day... then have to go to work!
                              I get migraines when tired too (or from certain fatty foods), so there's an extra ouch!

Basically, I need to get a new PC and lock myself away again in the spare room. Laptops may be portable but nothing beats a desk and not having to worry about your machine over-heating due to the surface it rests upon.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
                              Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

Working...
                              X