How long does it take you to write a first draft?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take you to write a first draft?

It personally doesn't take me that long. It took me about 3 weeks to do my last one. Like I said though, only first draft (any draft after that takes much much longer). Probably writing for about 4 or 5 hours a day.

I'm curious to know how long it takes you to complete your first draft?

Re: How long does it take you to write a first draft?

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
    It personally doesn't take me that long. It took me about 3 weeks to do my last one. Like I said though, only first draft (any draft after that takes much much longer). Probably writing for about 4 or 5 hours a day.

I'm curious to know how long it takes you to complete your first draft?
    Anywhere between a two weeks and two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
      Anywhere between a two weeks and two years.

Sounds about right for me.

Comment

Average 6 months to a year on a spec.

Comment

Wow, no way, that's quite surprising to me actually. I 've worked on scripts for longer than a year in total, but just to get to a complete first draft really doesn't take me that long personally, if I put my ming to it.

However when I did it in three weeks, I wasn't currently working at the time, so I had the whole of each day spare. I can understand people taking much longer when they have a full time job or other commitments.

For my next script, I'm pretty sure I can get to a complete first draft within the month.

Hey I guess everyone's different though. Would love to hear how long it takes other people.

Comment

Wow, no way, that's quite surprising to me actually. I 've worked on scripts for longer than a year in total, but just to get to a complete first draft really doesn't take me that long personally, if I put my ming to it.

However when I did it in three weeks, I wasn't currently working at the time, so I had the whole of each day spare. I can understand people taking much longer when they have a full time job or other commitments.

For my next script, I'm pretty sure I can get to a complete first draft within the month.

Hey I guess everyone's different though. Would love to hear how long it takes other people.
            It took Leonardo Da Vinci fifteen years to paint the MONA LISA. It took Bob Ross less than an hour to paint his work for his PBS show.

Comment

When's my deadline?

DROID GUNNER was written in 9 days, then shot (but unfortunately, not killed). BLIND TRUST (for USA Network) was written in 12 days... and went out to talent and signed an Oscar nominee to work for scale plus 10 (then bad things happened).

I just finished a new spec - 4 weeks. That's about average. The HBO World Premiere Movies I wrote - contracts gave me 4 weeks for the first draft - and they wanted a good first draft (so I usually spent 3 weeks writing it andf a week fixing it). Those films had air dates before I began writing the scripts, and there were hard deadlines.

But when you are writing a spec, it takes as long as it takes. Accuracy is much more important than speed.

- Bill
              Free Script Tips:
              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                When's my deadline?

DROID GUNNER was written in 9 days, then shot (but unfortunately, not killed). BLIND TRUST (for USA Network) was written in 12 days... and went out to talent and signed an Oscar nominee to work for scale plus 10 (then bad things happened).

I just finished a new spec - 4 weeks. That's about average. The HBO World Premiere Movies I wrote - contracts gave me 4 weeks for the first draft - and they wanted a good first draft (so I usually spent 3 weeks writing it andf a week fixing it). Those films had air dates before I began writing the scripts, and there were hard deadlines.

But when you are writing a spec, it takes as long as it takes. Accuracy is much more important than speed.

- Bill
                Wow. I've heard that one of the most important decisions that a writer will have to make is to understand how fast he/she can truly write.

Some people can give a good draft in 3 months. Others sooner.

For assignments, how long does a writer typically get? Is it negotiable?

Comment

Accuracy is much more important than speed.
                  That's what I tell all my women when they complain that it was over way too fast. Hey, at least I got it out of the holster and hit the target! What the hell else do you want from me?

HH

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post
                    Wow. I've heard that one of the most important decisions that a writer will have to make is to understand how fast he/she can truly write.

Some people can give a good draft in 3 months. Others sooner.

For the project I just worked on, I asked the same question of both the Producer and my manager. In both cases I was told 8-10 weeks. Don't exceed 10. This was writing on spec rather than assignment in its literal term, but I'm told that ain't a million miles away from the norm.

Obviously every project/prodco/producer varies, but they can't expect Da Vinci if they only give you half the paint palette... okay the analogy doesn't quite hold up... but you get the general idea.

Comment

When's my deadline?
                      DROID GUNNER was written in 9 days, then shot... BLIND TRUST (for USA Network) was written in 12 days...
                      - Bill
                      I hope you got coal in your stocking for Christmas. At least that would make the rest of us feel better...

Comment

Oops, you're right. That's a presentable draft. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Tochirta View Post

Yes, it's negotiable. I had 8 weeks on my first studio job. 6 weeks for the rewrite. I have 12 weeks to complete the first draft for the job I'm doing now. 8 weeks for the rewrite. These writing periods can change depending on the scope of the work as well. (E.g. an original, an adaptation, rewrite, polish, etc.)

There is also a period of time from when the deal is closed and when the contract is completed that you can use to work on the script, if you so choose and assuming you basically have the green light to start. It can take a month to 6 months for the lawyers to finish their business. Some writers wait until they are commenced and have a check in hand to begin writing. Other writers start while the contract is going back and forth between the lawyers. It's a personal preference.
                          https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

I like the sound of "put my ming to it."

Comment

I like the sound of "put my ming to it."

haha I often do try to put my ming to it, when I can.

But I mean't to say mind, which I clearly don't have much of.

Comment

Working...
                              X