Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genre structure

Is "Genre structure" even the correct term or 'a' correct term? Jeff Lowell has said, in his interview that a writer need be able to write in more than one genre to take on assignments. I think that's what he said. So where do you find the rules of genre? Is there some place online that has the lay of the genre land?

Thanks

Re: Genre structure

basic storytelling is always the same regardless of genre.
    but think of each genre as you would a story "bible" for a tv show... with rules that should be followed.

ie - don't we all know that in a horror flick if a teenager has sex they are the next to die?!
    ie - in a romance they have a bunch of simple patterns like: boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back.

if you want to get writing assignments then you need your own samples. and just like any job the wider range of experience makes you more valuable. so get writing.

Comment

Truby's made a good career out defining genres to nth degree, and Blake Snyder came up with some non-film studies versions. They'd say there are certain things that you have to have in specific genres or you'll piss off the audience: the couple has to meet, part and reconcile in romcoms; thrillers have to have a threat to the protag, etc.

Comment

Study a bunch of films in the genre. Don't just watch them, *study* them.

When I did my Thriller Class I selected 4 different thrillers and found what they had in common. Did the same thing when I did my Horror Class - THE EXORCIST, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, ROSEMARY'S BABY and NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Often it's more - "what makes the genre work" rather than a specific structure.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I also recommend John Truby's work on genre structure. He knows his stuff and he also has excellent taste. And like Bill said... study the films in the genre you want to master. All of them, if possible.

Comment

What was amazingly helpful to me were the Truby story beats required of genres in which he delineated clear distinctions between Thriller / Detective / Crime. I had no idea! It was these beats that gave me the insight with which to really peg down story goals and, in Truby's words, at least attempt to transcend a "done to death" format. I see so often forum comments wherein the writer fizzles out at 70-80 pages for the script's entirety. Using Truby's beats wherein he says to evolve the crime from its simple mechanics into one which provides a commentary on society and fleshes out the inner life (flaws) of the main characters (my writing weakness) gave me MORE than enough STORY. He uses the example of "Chinatown" (DETECTIVE beats) wherein a simple murder is set against the larger issue of water rights, and thereby elevates the story itself.

The irony in reading these genre studies was that I realized I was using a "horror story" beat which I thought was more a "black humor" beat in a comedy I was also serving up. In doing so, I figured I sabotaged the thrust of what a "hounded reader" would perceive from the start. I thereby scuttled any success with what was meant as a light-hearted farce, d'oh! So I lightened up the black humor element and one hopes came up with a clearer storyline -- in thanks to deferring to required genre beats.

And of course tips from fellow DDP'ers were invaluable along with reading Bill's column musings....!!

...just my $.02 of amateurish drivel...!

Comment

Yakman, was that in Truby's book or his tapes? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by clueless View Post
                Is "Genre structure" even the correct term or 'a' correct term? Jeff Lowell has said, in his interview that a writer need be able to write in more than one genre to take on assignments. I think that's what he said. So where do you find the rules of genre? Is there some place online that has the lay of the genre land?

Thanks

I usually refer to it as "story structure" or "narrative structure" when talking about the framework of a story... and "genre elements" when talking about those, well, elements that make a genre what it is (e.g. femme fatale, chiaroscuro lighting, etc. for film noir... meet cute, best friend/confidante character, etc. for romantic comedies...).

I've had great success just Googling the term. Something along the lines of "film noir elements" or "genre conventions in science fiction." I usually get enough results to keep me busy reading for a while.

Comment

Ahhhhh Sh1t. Mr. Martell I'm reading your script secrets. You know the one about being type cast as a writer?

I guess there could be worse things than writing stuff that I have fun writing. Thanks. I'm going to go and invent a new fart joke if it works I'll name it after you, or umo. Or better yet the NikeeGoddess.

Comment

mariot...that was in his down-loadable, instant gratification MP3's: http://store.truby.com/prostores/servlet/Detail?no=18

Again, I had no real concept of the delineation between the three genres (CRIME / THRILLER / DETECTIVE in this case), nor that there was one, until I listened to these segments. The one con is that he refers to a lot of onscreen action that he is playing in excerpts for a taped class. He gives a sketchy description on an attached PDF.

Even so, the segments left me with the feeling, one had better KNOW and INCORPORATE these beats or at least have a valid reason for leaving them out. And incorporating these beats - wow - just amped up and focused my story at the same time.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X