Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Career Move'

For a funny short story about screenwriting/H'wood, look for a book by Martin Amis called 'Heavy Water.' It's the first story, 'Career Move.'

(I couldn't decide whether this belonged here or One on One, but I think it applies here.)

Martin Amis is one of my favorite contemporary writers. He also happens to be a great essayist with more throw-away-wit per sentence than any other writer out there. His novel, "London Fields," (short-listed for the Booker Prize -- "Remains Of The Day" won that year) is one the greatest novels ever written.

There's a great piece he wrote on Brian De Palme in his collection, "The Moronic Inferno."

Comment

Crash,

Heavy Water is the first Amis book I've bought, and it's great. I'll look for London Fields.

Have you read Career Move?

Comment

Whoops... Moderators, maybe this does belong in One on One. :/

Comment

I read "Career Move" when it was first published in The New Yorker.

Comment

London Fields is my favorite by him, but try Time's Arrow for an interesting take on narrative structure. If you pick it up, DON'T read the synopsis on the back. It gives away the ending, at least on the version I own.

Comment

"Time's Arrow" is a great read also. It was often mentioned in reviews of "Memento."

Comment

Nicholas Roeg has written a screen adaption of
                NIGHT TRAIN.

Comment

Any of you Amis fans seen the Rachel Papers? Botched attempt in my opinion. Amis seems tough to capture on screen since you lose a lot if you lose his prose. The Croupier had an Amis feel to me.

Comment

I didn't really like Night Train (sorry), but Time's Arrow and London Fields - man those took some writing

Comment

Working...
                    X