Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came up about 19 pages short.

I am totally new at this style of writing, having completed only one screenplay (which took me a couple of years). I have three more in various stages of completion. I just finished writing another, which I only started five days ago. However, I am 19 pages short of my 110 page goal.

Now, I have not even done a thorough read, so I am certain I will find places that need beefing up to hit my milestone marks on the timeline.

The purpose of this post is simply to ask whether this is common or not and to ask guidance on moving forward. I do not use an outline and don't feel it would matter, but would like thoughts on that as well.
    www.silvercop.com
    If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Re: Came up about 19 pages short.

An average script should run between 90-120 pages. Yours is a bit short, but you do not have to have exactly 110 pages. You just finished your first draft? I'll wager once you get notes you'll add some pages.

I do the same thing. Often my first draft is around the 80 page mark, but once people start giving me suggestions I find places where I need more scenes and by the time I'm finished I'm usually around 115 pages. Don't stress page count this early in the process. You probably have a ton of work to do still and will end up changing much of what you've written after you get notes.
    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Thanks Emily. I am not stuck on 110, I just hoped to be closer to that number. I think you are right about it not being hard to fill some more pages.

Should I put it aside for a bit and come back? That may be a bit hard to do, since I am very excited about this story.
      www.silvercop.com
      If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

what genre is it? 110 on paper doesn't ALWAYS end up as exactly 110 mins of film time.

it may help to read from the beginning and see which beats feel light or could be expanded on. Maybe your B-story could use a bit more to strengthen whatever's at stake, etc. Maybe an action scene could use more punch...a lot of times this is where i refer back to my beat sheet or brief outline to see at a glance what types of events are happening throughout the story.
        One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
          what genre is it? 110 on paper doesn't ALWAYS end up as exactly 110 mins of film time.

it may help to read from the beginning and see which beats feel light or could be expanded on. Maybe your B-story could use a bit more to strengthen whatever's at stake, etc. Maybe an action scene could use more punch...a lot of times this is where i refer back to my beat sheet or brief outline to see at a glance what types of events are happening throughout the story.
          I am very glad you mention this, because I was thinking about it while writing. It is a military action drama set in Afghanistan. I have some action scenes that will definitely play longer than a simple paragraph might indicate.
          www.silvercop.com

Comment

Originally posted by silvercop View Post
            I am very glad you mention this, because I was thinking about it while writing. It is a military action drama set in Afghanistan. I have some action scenes that will definitely play longer than a simple paragraph might indicate.
            That may be part of your problem. How much vertical writing do you do? Is your action in long paragraphs or short one-three sentence beats?

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
              That may be part of your problem. How much vertical writing do you do? Is your action in long paragraphs or short one-three sentence beats?
              My action is in very short beats. I try to keep lots of white space. I will post an example once I figure out how to do so. I saw a thread about it.
              www.silvercop.com

Comment

Then I'd say you need notes from a trusted reader. If you can't see any problems on your own, it's time to turn to new eyes.

Comment

I am not stuck on 110, I just hoped to be closer to that number.

This is mind boggling!

Why would you WANT a higher page count. This just deosn't make sense to me. Most writers are pulling their hair out trying to figure what aprts to cut out, to get their page counts down.

And you want to raise your?

The first thing most professional readers do is jump to the last page and see what the number is. No one wants to read a script that is longer than other script they have.

Do you think a reader who sits down with two scripts is going to happily dive into reading the script with 125 pages she has on her desk, or the one that has 90 pages?

I do not understand your logic in actually wanting a higher page count. This is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                    Then I'd say you need notes from a trusted reader. If you can't see any problems on your own, it's time to turn to new eyes.
                    Thanks Emily,

I am not too concerned about this issue by the way. I just completed the first draft after all. I expect to see a lot that needs to be fixed in my own readings. I will get notes from a trusted reader once I make my own corrections. You give awesome advice.

The reason I am on here asking is that I can only learn so much from other people's posts. Not that my issues are unique, just that they are my issues right now. Besides, I just had a marathon run writing this script. I need a break, but can't get it out of my head. So, here I am.

As for Fanatic's "This is insane" comment.... Aren't we all? Honestly, writing is a very personal obsession and here we are in a public forum discussing our weaknesses! Or you co-dependent professionals are here facilitating the obsessions of the weak. Insane either way.
                    www.silvercop.com

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic_about_film View Post
                      Do you think a reader who sits down with two scripts is going to happily dive into reading the script with 125 pages she has on her desk, or the one that has 90 pages?

I do not understand your logic in actually wanting a higher page count. This is insane.
                      depends on what the genre is and which one reads the best. drama's tend to run a bit longer than what he has now which is about 91 pages.

the closest thing i can think of to what he's got (action drama set in Afghanistan) is Green Zone which comes in at 115 minutes. maybe see if you can read over that script to see what the page count is and how the beats flow (assuming you like the movie).

i wouldnt get hung up on page count as long as you're in the same ballpark as films similar to what you're writing.
                      "Making movies is a collaborative process...bend over."

Comment

Originally posted by Dock View Post
                        depends on what the genre is and which one reads the best. drama's tend to run a bit longer than what he has now which is about 91 pages.

the closest thing i can think of to what he's got (action drama set in Afghanistan) is Green Zone which comes in at 115 minutes. maybe see if you can read over that script to see what the page count is and how the beats flow (assuming you like the movie).

i wouldnt get hung up on page count as long as you're in the same ballpark as films similar to what you're writing.
                        Thanks Dock, good analogy, Greenzone. I can't find the script for Greenzone (I watched it last week but could only find the script it was adapted from). Do you know how many pages the actual script runs?

I have "Body of Lies" which runs 128 minutes on 138 pages.

The main thing I am taking from this conversation is that it matters less than I might have thought it did.
                        www.silvercop.com

Comment

@silvercop: hey, setting in Afghanistan, too *high five*

As for your problem, well I posted a similar cry for help some days ago, because I got stuck on 100 pages. I finally finished at 103, and I'm not gonna rack my brain about the number anymore.

However, I won some space in thinning the action sequences the way I always start a new paragraph when the camera should turn and focus on another person/area. That's easier and pacing faster anyway.

Probably you can do a little bit with the descriptive material, too, but this should not be too elongate. Sometimes however there are little scenes capturing a certain feeling - just in showing a scene on a market or out in the fields.

(my little 2-cent, yes...try to help a tiny bit^^)

Comment

Three things I've found very helpful are:
                            1) Pick your poison of writer guru -- in my case Truby -- and study the beats they say are necessary for the genre you're working in. Out of the 10-15 they provide, you may have hit several already. BUT...that always leaves several others you can add -- and twist from the usual cliche -- to add depth to your work.
                            2) You may come to realize you have a combo genre, Crime/Action, Comedy/Fable, take your pick. You then have an additional set of beats to add.
                            3) Character development. Well...you got all the cool action sequences of people blowing things up...but how well did you lay the groundword of how they will REACT in these sequences by previous character development (my weakness which I've, one hopes, addressed).

(...my dirty pennies $.02.)
                            Last edited by YakMan; 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Another thing to consider is the B story. In my early writing I almost always neglected the B story, which is one reason my script always came in so low. Once you develop your secondary characters sometimes that fills in your script and improves your story.

Comment

Working...
                              X