No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's Put to Bed Another Myth

Originally posted by Derek Haas View Post
    Guess what? I just broke twenty "rules!" And it doesn't matter!
    I love you, man.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      I promise you that screenplays with both of those things advance and win all the time. Scout's honor.

Plenty of pro readers have weighed in here multiple times that they don't look for or care about that stuff - they're just looking for great movies.
      The key there is pro readers. I don't think you can compare them to the contest readers. People who throw the script away if someone isn't from NY or LA.

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
        That's very interesting! In the script I just completed, I deliberately put in a lot of Terry Gilliamisms because I'm such a fan! If they kept those I'd be thrilled!
        Yeah, I keep meaning to say something to you about your 12 Monkeys avatar.

Sorry for the off-topic post, Lucha.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
          Years later there I was, trying to write another screenplay following all those rules and I thought "To hell with this. This is no fun." And I just started writing scenes the way they felt most comfortable. And it hasn't gotten me trouble once. In fact, it's made my work stronger and more memorable.
          Ah, but here's the rub: I got decent coverage until I started doing my own thing. Now I've got myself all tangled in myself.

Comment

I am trying to become a successful screenplay author. Why would I want to try and learn directing at the same time.
            www.silvercop.com
            If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
              The key there is pro readers. I don't think you can compare them to the contest readers. People who throw the script away if someone isn't from NY or LA.
              It's hard enough to write confidently without the ghost of contest readers hanging over your shoulder.Or execs. Or pro readers. Or reps.

"Oh, they won't like this... that. Opps - must delete, they won't like it."
              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Nicholl pays its readers. They are pro readers. So do other reputable, meaningful contests.

Having a voice can only help. Refusing to use tools like camera directions and parentheticals is needlessly handicapping yourself.

Comment

I've been a contest reader. Not for Nicholl... but I can assure you we don't throw out a script based on where the person is from (in most cases there's no personal information provided to the readers), how many camera directions are in the script, if the writer used parentheticals, etc.

Evaluating screenplays is all about finding the best story and characters. Some contests have general guidelines (like using proper script format), but no reader I know... pro, contest, or otherwise (they're usually all experienced)... throws out a script based on technicalities unless he is really bad at his job. Reading a script for the purposes of evaluating its merits is about finding a great story and great characters; it's not about figuring out who can format most accurately or who can most closely adhere to the "rules."

Comment

Let me qualify every post that I make on here by saying that I don't give a **** about contests.

(That said, I recognize there are a couple of contests that can get your foot in the door. The merits of entering contests can be discussed on another thread... I'm sure it has... I'm still sort-of new here.)

My advice at all times is for writers who want to sell their scripts.

Comment

I hate to quote a guru for fear of being slammed but...

Robert McKee says that a good screenplay requires a "good story, well told."

Voice can be a key component to the well told part.

Comment

Originally posted by Screenplay Savant View Post

No worries. He was, uh, paraphrasing a great writer when he said it. Of course the great writer added a better finish.

"I like a good story well told. That is the reason I am sometimes forced to tell them myself.- -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Screenplay Savant View Post

No one's going to slam you I hope, lol. But well told doesn't necessary mean exclude camera direction. Use the most effective tool in your style to convey the idea, right? I can appreciate the minimalist approach of camera direction when a writer wants to drive something home. It's just part of the arsenal.

Comment

In my opinion, this is what happens when people learned the screenwriting rules before they learned how to actually write. The rules become a crutch on how to communicate a movie to the reader.

Comment

Have you entered contests and have you advanced?
                              I think Derek's trying to help you write a script that won't need to advance in contests. But rather to attract a director, actors and financing.

There is a very low correlation between people who make a living at this for a long time and contest winners.

I have never entered a writing contest. Always just wrote the stories I wanted to see on screen. Too much calculation can kill you in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Koppelman View Post
                                I think Derek's trying to help you write a script that won't need to advance in contests. But rather to attract a director, actors and financing.

There is a very low correlation between people who make a living at this for a long time and contest winners.

I have never entered a writing contest. Always just wrote the stories I wanted to see on screen. Too much calculation can kill you in this game.
                                When I was a so-so writer, I won or was finalist in 80 percent of the contests I entered.

When I became a much better writer, I didn't advance in any. And I learned there's a huge gap between the kind of scripts that advance in contests and scripts that get attention of Hollywood.

Comment

Working...
                                X