X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's Put to Bed Another Myth

Originally posted by TwoBrad Bradley View Post
    Here's what we don't see:
    We don't see all the options the writer considered and sweated over before arriving at the best choice for him. This exercise can not be removed from the process of successful screenwriting.
    Good point.

I would argue that the majority of the times people get annoyed with a "we see" it's because it's obvious from the context that they didn't go through that process.

When they do go through that process, you usually don't notice the "We see" because it's just working.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
      When I was a so-so writer, I won or was finalist in 80 percent of the contests I entered.

When I became a much better writer, I didn't advance in any. And I learned there's a huge gap between the kind of scripts that advance in contests and scripts that get attention of Hollywood.
      My first script ever made it to the top 15% of Nicholl, won a few contests, placed well in a few more. Pretty much the same with my second one, except the Nicholl part. The third one, a couple of finalist placements and that was it.

But the two scripts that landed me offers for representation, 5th and 6th in ascending order, didn't advance to any contest I entered them.

I gave up on entering my scripts to contests all together since then. I find them useful only for embellishing your query letter, or your CV if you're after teaching positions, and shows commitment in a writing career.

That said, I don't want to sound as someone who diminishes the achievements of those who won contests.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

LOL I love this entire thread. Since day one, I've heard these ridiculous rules being spewed left and right. Now I'll be honest, I rarely use camera directions unless it makes a dramatic moment that much more dramatic.

Last co-writer I was working with called me and sounded like he had just run 4 miles and lost his inhaler and said "You- you can't use 'we see' in an action line" bahaha. As much as I wanted to cleverly use the term jabroni, I nicely told him exactly what my manager told me-- The exact thing Derek Haas has said.

Needless to say, Mr. Haas is correct. If not then why would my buddy Rick Ungar (Marvel writer) refer my script to Avi Arad (Marvel God)

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
          T The only way you can gauge if you've got some magic is by the way people respond. Even if your sh!t isn't all the way there, if you've got some flavor, people will help you get it out there. They'll fight to get you recognized.
          This is actually the most encouraging thing I've read so far. Thanks.

My impression until now was that the only time anyone, anywhere, did anything whatsoever to help a screenwriter was when/if the script was "perfect" for what they were seeking, or when the writing was top-level 0.02% cream, and only then.

Comment

Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero
            The only way you can gauge if you've got some magic is by the way people respond. Even if your sh!t isn't all the way there, if you've got some flavor, people will help you get it out there. They'll fight to get you recognized.

I totally agree with this. And the hard truth is that most aspiring writers don't have the magic and it's not something you can be taught. You can learn how to tap into it and use it if you've got it. But if it's not inside of you to access, you can't put it inside.
            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: Added quote code.

Comment

I'll back up BDZ here too... when you've written a great script that has a great idea... you'll be amazed at how many people who read it want to be involved with it or want to help you get it sold and made. When you hear it over and over again, "great script, great script, great script... that guy or gal can write..." then you're on to something.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Haas View Post
                "You shouldn't direct from the page. You shouldn't suggest edits, shots, close-ups, split-screens, etc. That's the director's job."
                Originally posted by Derek Haas View Post

I can say unequivocally that this is bad advice.

I find it funny how the OP above transformed into a treatise on "breaking the rules." I did learn one thing along the way though: don't enter contests.
                www.silvercop.com
                If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Working...
                X