How did you get bit by the screenwriting bug?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did you get bit by the screenwriting bug?

Yeah, I was trying to explain to a friend (non writer) the other day that writing a screenplay is totally different from writing a novel. His response was - "creative writing is all the same."

Comment

Originally posted by jeffoscribe View Post
      Yeah, I was trying to explain to a friend (non writer) the other day that writing a screenplay is totally different from writing a novel. His response was - "creative writing is all the same."
      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Wgi7DTsDt2...0/facepalm.jpg
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Interesting how many started with novels. I blame my close friend (like a sister, really), who is also a writer. We were in college writing workshops together, we both focused on novels and short stories, and we both set our writing aside for marriage, kids, blah-blah-blah. Too many years, then we nagged each other to find our way back. (Ironically, we both divorced our sig-others within a year of each other, too. Ha!)

She was bitten first, she wanted to tackle a story about Victoria Woodhull for the screen. She kept nudging me to try screenwriting, reminded me one of our college profs once suggested I try screenwriting (I ignored him -- wanted to write the great American novel - double-ha.) So she bugged me to at least adapt my dusty unfinished novel for the screen. I did. I was infected by the craft. She gave up the ghost on screenwriting. I'm still infected years later.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I was always doing something creative as a kid, drawing, writing, making snow sculptures, whatever. Never really put much thought into whether I was good at any of it. It was just fun. Junior year of HS, I took a creative writing class. One day the teacher puts a vase with a rose in it on his desk and tells us to write what we see. Without exception, we all describe the vase and the rose with lots of great adjectives. He was so disappointed, basically called every one us fucking idiots, because no one wrote about love or beauty or life and death.

Many years later I tried to write a novel. The prose was exhausting to me. I wish I could remember the exact moment, but one day it occurs to me that people write movies. I know. Eureka. Anyway, I was hooked forever.
          Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Working...
          X