No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MYTH: A screenplay has to be good.

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
    I almost said that "Screenplay has to be good" should be replaced with "A screenplay has to be marketable" for the statement to be true. I think that generally for a script to be marketable, it being good is part of the equation. Good writing is more marketable than bad writing.

Then I realized that Chalie Kaufman has barely written anything that could be considered "marketable", but yet keeps on getting movies produced. Maybe the secret is that he's not merely good - He's great. Maybe if you're great, you can afford to write less marketable material.
    Charlie Kaufman is one of those examples that keeps some writers going. But few people can get away with things the way he and a handful of others do. Even major actors, writers and directors have to struggle hard to get passion projects off the ground, because they're just not considered commercially attractive. This was a long time ago, but I remember reading that Robert Duvall spent 13 years trying to get THE APOSTLE made. There are tons of examples like that, it just goes to show how difficult it is even when you ARE somebody.

I think I read that the indie scene was on its way to a revival, which is good news indeed. Some types of scripts you just don't waste your time pitching to the big league, they're much more suited to smaller companies that have taken risks on similar material and that are known for producing non mainstream flicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Knaight View Post
      Discuss.
      A script has to have a market. Good or bad, it's just matter of perception.

All the rest is bs.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

A script has to have a buyer who thinks he/she can market it so that he/she can get a return on investment. There are passion projects that get made, but those are few and far between, and there's usually some quid pro quo from the actor to appear in a "commercial" movie.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
          MYTH: Scripts look better and more professional when printed on paper.

I like to jazz my scripts up by cutting sheets of aluminum foil down to 8 1/2 by 11 and printing them on that. Really emphasizes my sci-fi concepts in my opinion. Added bonus is that I can use old drafts to bake potatoes.
          Reading this during class. I laughed way louder than I should have. Thankfully no one noticed.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
            I like to jazz my scripts up by cutting sheets of aluminum foil down to 8 1/2 by 11 and printing them on that.
            Easier still, print on A4 and suddenly your script is sophisticated and has international appeal.
            Last edited by nic.h; 02-08-2011, 03:41 PM.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

I experimented with the smell of roast pork on my pages--something about men and pork...

But if a woman is reading, I inject the aroma of fresh leather with a drop of foot smell and nail polish to arouse shoe-shopping tingles.
              Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                This reminds me of a joke where two friends are in the woods and encounter a bear. One of them kneels down to tie his shoelaces. His friend says "There's no way you can outrun a bear." And the guy says "I don't have to outrun the bear. I just have to outrun you."
                That reminds me - I must pitch my KODIAK 3D idea to my reps.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

A sandwich does not have to be good, but no one will eat a crappy one.
                  www.silvercop.com
                  If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Working...
                  X