Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenwriting Reminder To Self

"No matter how many films you watch in your lifetime, whether it's hundreds or hundreds of thousands, you will always get more knowledge from reading a fraction of those films' scripts." - Pro @ WGA Library
    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
    - Screenwriting Friend

Re: Screenwriting Reminder To Self

While you do need to read screenplays if you want to write them there is no doubt that watching films is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Recreant View Post
      While you do need to read screenplays if you want to write them there is no doubt that watching films is more important.
      It's probably different for each person. For me, I've definitely learned more from reading and studying scripts. No question.
      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

As a writer, I personally have learned more from reading scripts than from watching films. It's broadened my study of film, and it's also taught me how powerful and colorful words can be at creating action and tension. As a viewer, I can only see this take place.

I get many more ideas from reading than watching. But people learn differently. I have mild ADD, so reading helps me "get" things I'd miss in a film.
        "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
        -Maya Angelou

Comment

Back up this statement.
          If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
          Dave Barry

Comment

I think reading a lot of scripts wasn't a big thing until very recently. Some pros still don't read many scripts

Reading scripts is good in order to pick up SP language-- how things are written on the page.

But the story you read on the page is not the same story you see on the screen.

I always recommend breaking down (reverse outlining) a movie & really studying how the scenes are arranged. That gives you a better idea of how movies are constructed.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Looks like sarcasm.
              www.silvercop.com
              If we don't get the information, and if we don't get the leads, we can't track down the killers.

Comment

Originally posted by Centurio View Post
                Back up this statement.
                I think being a writer starts at a really young age. The more you watch, the more you absorb.

I have been watching almost every great sit-com and movie since the early seventies.

I think if you take it all in, you are bound to learn comedic timing and structure for dramatic writing..

I pretty much can pull any great line from THE HONEYMOONERS, SANFORD AND SON, TAXI, WKRP IN CINCINNATI, CHEERS, SIENFELD, SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY.

Pretty much have seen every great movie too.

You're not going to sneak anything past me if you're going to rip someone off.

I think great writers have spent their whole lives acquiring their ability.

Jeff Shurtleff
                Last edited by Jeff_Shurtleff; 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM.
                "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Originally posted by silvercop View Post
                  Looks like sarcasm.
                  But it smells like teen spirit.

I'm with the reading screenplays is more important crowd. Both are good, though. why choose -- do both.

Comment

Christopher Nolan said he was never big on reading scripts but did watch a shizload of films. He's obviously very successful, but many would agree that he's a far better director than a writer.

Everytime I read a good script I think I'm being given more arsenal.

Reading scripts is good in order to pick up SP language-- how things are written on the page.

True, but it's more than good because it's not just about what's written. A work using SP language is more or less a story told in pictures, told filmicly. If I wrote a screenplay based on simply watching films or TV all my life the script would not transfer well at all in cinematic form. It will turn a reader off.
                    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post
                      I'm with the reading screenplays is more important crowd. Both are good, though. why choose -- do both.
                      Oh I couldn't agree more, but we will always do one more than the other. I just wanted to get a consensus from both angles.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

It's like: Do you like chocolate ice cream or strawberry? Both!

After I started writing, I followed the advice to read scripts, but I'm a slow reader who visualizes almost every phrase. It was painful.

Where I got a lot out of it was when I'd already seen (and enjoyed) the movie.

I think I'll learn even more if (when !) I see a movie made from one of my own scripts. I'm looking forward to seeing the transition one of my writer's drafts undergoes to a shooting script and then to the final movie. I'm hoping to be able to incorporate the qualities of the shooting script into my own writing as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post

I pretty much can pull any great line from THE HONEYMOONERS, SANFORD AND SON, TAXI, WKRP IN CINCINNATI, CHEERS, SIENFELD, SIMPSONS, FAMILY GUY.

I demand that you back that up, Jeff.

I request a great line from Sanford and Son. I'll give you a hint -
                          "Gorilla cookies".
                          Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                          Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                          Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
                            I demand that you back that up, Jeff.

I request a great line from Sanford and Son. I'll give you a hint -
                            "Gorilla cookies".
                            You may have got me, but I'm thinking cookies from Aunt Ester.

Jeff Shurtleff
                            "Some men see things the way they are and say why? I see things that never were and say, why not?"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...4669871&v=info

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff View Post
                              You may have got me, but I'm thinking cookies from Aunt Ester.

Jeff Shurtleff
                              You're on track with Aunt Ester, but it was when Fred, during one of his many battles with her, said, "I'm gonna stick your face in some dough, and make some gorilla cookies!"

Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                              Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                              Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

Working...
                              X