Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film vs. TV

From what I've read around here, it seems like the majority of people write movies rather than TV, and I was just curious as to the reason behind the choice. Obviously each is different, but given that TV is considered more of a writer's medium than film, I was interested to learn people's preferences.

Personally, I like both and would be really happy to get a chance to do either, but TV specs aren't something I've written much of simply because I don't live in the US, much less LA.

Re: Film v TV

Personally, I like both and would be really happy to get a chance to do either, but TV specs aren't something I've written much of simply because I don't live in the US, much less LA.
    You marked your location as 'Down Under'. If that's Australia then you are in luck - TV writing here is a much bigger (and better) form of employment then screenplay writing.

John Safran had a great interview a while ago - he was wondering why people were telling him to do a feature when he gets paid so much more (and has so much success) at TV writing. Yet there was some idea that he wouldn't be successful unless he'd had a film!

The AWG sponsor paid internships for some shows - they want a resume and a TV spec so it's worth looking into it.

Most of the big TV writers (like Tim Pye etc) are really approachable and helpful - they seem always ready to help others.

Good luck!

Mac
    New blogposts:
    *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
    *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
    *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
    *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Yeah, writing for TV here will land you a paid gig quicker than film. The only thing I see as a hindrance is the execs stepping in to complicate what would otherwise be a success. I've worked for a local film commission before and seen it done there too.

I suspect this happens everywhere else, and it does with film too, I just prefer having time to validate my character's rationale behind their actions. Some TV, you get a week from script to production, or a day.

Anyway, I'm enjoying writing on spec right now. Maybe in a few years I'll mature to TV. I have an idea for a pilot which is at an outline/bible stage, but apart from that, I write what I know and love. Film.

Comment

http://www.scriptmag.com/2011/02/03/...e-outside-l-a/
        If you really like it you can have the rights
        It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
          You marked your location as 'Down Under'. If that's Australia then you are in luck - TV writing here is a much bigger (and better) form of employment then screenplay writing.
          it's that way in the US as well.
          you don't have to live in LA to get a TV job (although it helps) but if you do get a job then you'll have to relocate. i'm sure it's the same Down Under. you can't live in the middle of nowhere and work in the TV industry.
          but given that TV is considered more of a writer's medium than film
          i disagree with you here. the method of TV writing is so much more constrictive that it's a hinderance to creativity in some areas... although that flexibility is changing with the growth of the cable TV industry.

Comment

I write TV in the US

I enjoy a great deal of creative control and input for each of my episodes, in all aspects from concept to editorial. Compared to my friends who write features, the difference is quite significant, as they generally are not asked about casting choices, how scenes are cut, music, etc....

I don't find it all constricting creatively. Not in terms of the medium, nor in terms of satisfying our network overlords. I've worked on both broadcast and cable and the severity of the demands of each vary according the the individuals who call the shots, not the outlets.

While there are certainly more overall TV jobs than features jobs in any given year (as per the WGAw reports), breaking in to TV perhaps requires a little more than just a great writing sample. One great script can start a feature career, but a great pilot or spec script by itself is probably not enough. Getting your first TV gig requires either some writing success in another medium, knowing or working for the right people, or participation in one of the studio programs which are often intended to expand cultural diversity on staffs.

Film tends to have more cache then TV. And it's easier to crossover from having a film career to TV, then the other way around (at least as it appears to me - ymmv).

But you've got to write what you love and I think for most that's movies. For me it's TV all the way.
            Last edited by jimjimgrande; 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by one seven spectrum View Post
              I suspect this happens everywhere else, and it does with film too, I just prefer having time to validate my character's rationale behind their actions. Some TV, you get a week from script to production, or a day.
              The extreme case would have to be 'Going Home' - a TV series which was literally written in the morning, acted in the afternoon - edited and then shown at 7:30 in the evening.

They even had a website where people could send in story suggestions and have them incorporated in to that evening's show.

Experimental TV at it's best!

Mac
              (Huh - I just checked IMDB and they don't list a single writer! I'm fairly sure Dave Warner was one of the writers)
              New blogposts:
              *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
              *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
              *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
              *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Re: Film vs. TV

Down Under does indeed mean Australia. To be honest, I'd never really given Australian TV a great deal of thought, but it's certainly something worth checking out, thanks.

Comment

coming across this page, I read the participation by jimjimgrande with much interest,

and I will read all the other ones as soon as i can because it seems an interesting topic.

what i believe is that writing a spec (is this the correct expression?) gives you the possibility to write about something you care -and probably experienced- in the first person. a theme you are (or you grew) fond of and that you wish to develop into a complete and organic tale.

Comment

Originally posted by diego80 View Post

what i believe is that writing a spec (is this the correct expression?) gives you the possibility to write about something you care -and probably experienced- in the first person. a theme you are (or you grew) fond of and that you wish to develop into a complete and organic tale.

a feature spec is an original work and could very well be inclusive of what you're saying

a television spec usually refers to a written episode of an existing show created as a writing sample to help a writer land a staff job on a series other than the one specced. There really isn't a market for existing series to buy spec episodes of their own show.

the term spec pilot refers to a writing done outside the development process. Obviously, any original pilot can be said to be a spec pilot, but when established tv writers choose to write a pilot on spec rather than setting up the pitch with a studio or network, it often speaks to the idea that they couldn't get it set up, or wanted a less encumbered opportunity to execute their vision of series.

Comment

yes,
                      I am sorry probably I didn' t explained my self quite clear:

what I meant is that when you are writing a movie you are developping your own project, a story or theme you care about.

in tv writing probably this happens less frequently

thanks for making this distinction clear anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X