Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you do it

Tell us why you write, why you spend countless hours, days, years behind a computer or typewriter writing movies.

It can be as long a story, or as short a haiku as you want.

I'll start...

"To see people, their reactions. To take control of them... disturb the peace."
    "Born Lucky"

Re: Why you do it

To tell a story worth telling.

Comment

It's better than a poke in the face with a sharp stick.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I want to make a shitload of money doing something I love to do.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
          I want to make a shitload of money doing something I love to do.
          I want to do something I love that may end up making me any load of money. Even a pissload would do!

Comment

What about a spitload?

Comment

I'd take a sniffload for all I care.

Comment

There's one more load that's worth mentioning, but my highly refined sense of decorum won't let me.

Comment

Really addictive.

Comment

Best answer I've ever seen to this question:

"I write because I believe my words can change the world. Every paragraph, every sentence, every syllable I construct is written with the express intention of changing people and their families. I hope as you read this you are in fact changing and I hope you'll let your families read this so they can change too.

Of course I'm kidding.
                    I write for cash and because as a child I was told I had excellent penmanship.-

~Doug Ellin

Comment

Love it.

Comment

Because my earliest childhood memory is of hearing the words: Once upon a time...

But some days - I'd rather be poked in the face with a sharp stick.
                        "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I find it an exhilarating rush to be able to create these worlds my character's live in, each world and character different to the next.

I've been a visual storyteller since I was very young.

I want to share my stories with the rest of the world and for me, this medium is the best way for me to do so.

Comment

My real answer is similar to Todd's anecdote.

I write because it was one of the few things I was naturally good at as a kid. I would often get accused of plagiarism. Storytelling is something I need to work on, but writing has been somewhat natural for me.

Comment

My mind is a dark and twisted place, but within the darkness are flashes of pure, hot light struggling to escape. When one of those pieces of light emerge, it's like a tiny burning ember that needs to be fueled and fanned, and that ember becomes a flame, and that flame becomes a fire, and that fire beckons to all, for it has a wonderful story to tell.

I write because I can't keep those embers inside me, and because I enjoy sitting around that fire.
                              Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Working...
                              X