The Hardest Screenplay you've ever written?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hardest Screenplay you've ever written?

Hey guys

Just thought Id see if this sparked some lively discussion.

What is the hardest screenplay you have ever written? Mine would be my second full feature screenplay. I spent about 6 months after re writes etc on my first screenplay, and it took me what seemed like an age to get through my second screenplay. I had the idea, I had the bare bones written down, I knew where it was going and everything, just felt like such a chore.

Anyone had similar experiences?

All the best

Re: The Hardest Screenplay you've ever written?

I'm only halfway through my first and I'm loving it. BUT it's both intoxicating and eternally frustrating...

...Intoxicating to see my world come to life on paper. Eternally frustrating trying to get it right. So I guess this would qualify as my hardest.

I know I'm just beginning this great journey, but I think my idea has commercial potential. It's too bad it's my first.

But like everyone says, the difference between success and failure is one great screenplay. So, I'll revisit it after I hit it big.

And I keep on typing,

Bourne
    "Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~Anton Chekhov

Comment

I'm in the middle of writing my fourth screenplay, and I'd have to say the toughest so far has been my second. This is mainly because, of all four, it's the one I'm most passionate about and that my mind constantly returns to. There's a lot of moving pieces, but I know there's something great in there.

The vast majority of feedback I've gotten has been extremely positive, but I'm still working to get it as close to perfect as possible. It gets frustrating at times, but those moments when it all clicks are so worth it.

Comment

Interesting.....I've always heard the second is the hardest! Altho at the beginning of my first one i too struggled. But yes the moments where it all clicks is just perfect (Still talking about writing bw)

I found my second screenplay more taxing due to the fact I was writing in the same genre as my first. I have actually written 5 screenplays now and have decided to hold off on writing anymore alone (I still write with people). Until I sell.

Gr8 on feedback Dlev24! Good luck with selling it! Love me a moving story!

xx
        Last edited by Kyle88; 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

all of them. they're all differently hard. the first one is about just doing it. then, at some point, i think it dawns on you that although you can "do it" you're not doing it at the level that it takes to get paid to do it. so then each one becomes about doing it better than the last one. and that progress, at least for me, is incremental. maybe some writers take quantum leaps between one script to the next but most i've heard at all levels say it never gets easy.

Comment

Yeah it's weird, my second one was the hardest too. But I think for obvious reasons, because it's one character, one location, etc. It's juts more difficult.

I gotta say I question when writers say it's such a chore to write.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of ups and downs when writing, but overall it's just such a fun enjoyable thing. I'm sure most people here work a day job, in order to support their writing. But if your writing is nothing but a chore, what's the point. Why do you work your day job to come home and take on the chore of writing?

Learn to enjoy it more.

Btw, why stop at screenplay 5 until you sell something. I don't get it?

Comment

Its interesting that some people find each and every screenplay a challenge in its own way. i do agree to an extent as you should write to push yourself.

Ive stopped at 5 to focus on selling them! Lol or else Im just writing for the sake of writing.

xx

Comment

It's funny, Fanatic, I think the reason my second one is the hardest is also due to location/characters. A large portion of it is a single character lost in the woods, whereas my others are a bit more expanse in scope.

And don't get me wrong, by no means was I saying that I think writing is a chore. I wake up every morning and look forward to writing. It's just some days the actual writing doesn't come as easy as others. I'm sure we all encounter times when we know what we're writing isn't up to par, as we're writing it. I was just saying it's an amazing feeling when you see that initial idea that popped into your head one day and had so much potential, reach that potential on the page.

Comment

DIE HARD. Which is German for "THE HARD".

Comment

I often find writing extremely difficult. It's not just a case of "drops of blood forming on the forehead" (to steal a quote) - it pours out till there's large puddles of red stuff all over the floor! But I'm also OCD about it so despite the pain I have to get the words out of my head and onto paper.

btw, I'm sooooooooo close to finishing my first screenplay and so far it's been the hardest one
                    "Writing is easy. All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead"... Gene Fowler

Comment

It seems each screenplay I write gets harder and harder.

I believe it's because I am becoming more aware of how little I know about creating drama each time I write; thus making it "harder."
                      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

My 2nd one was the easiest one i've written. 3 weeks flat - felt like i had a better handle on things, done and done

rewrites on that one... another story.

my 4th one though was easily the hardest for me, and that was largely cause i decided to write a story with minimal dialogue. I wanted to get better on being subtle and creating the most with the least. Major tough.

Comment

1st: Hard, because I had no idea what the hell I was doing... somewhat.
                          2nd: Even harder... because I wanted to make it "perfect"
                          3rd: Easier than 2nd because I let go of restraints & created DRAMA!
                          4th: JUST STARTING IT-- hard because the story is epic on a personal level.

Anyone who is on their 3rd+ script... go back and read some of your first spec... the second... look at how much you've improved.

It's interesting to look at the degree of difficulty shift between layers of writing.

I first struggled with story stucture... got that down now.

Then i struggled with pacing/drama... got that down now.

Then it was "what's the worst thing that could happen in my story each page"... got that down now.

Now it's a matter of being original and driving my story faster with more colorful characters..

With each script we write, we conquer a certain aspect of screenwriting... only to realize we have more areas to master with each new script until we sell JUST ONE... then it's easy sailing

I just realized the best way to look at characters in stories.
                          They are tectonic plates, grinding against each other until an earthquake.

I honestly admire everyone of this site that has a job, family, kids, lack of time.. but continue to pursue their goals that many, and many give up on.

I'm lucky that I'm in a situation right now that allows me to write 8 hours a day. A composer friend of mine use to write 4 hours a week... then he wrote 6-8 hours a day for a year... his skill skyrocketed, and now he's making a good living for himself at the age of 21... just a matter of how bad you want it

Sorry for the mild rant, haha
                          "Born Lucky"

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle88 View Post
                            What is the hardest screenplay you have ever written?
                            The first one, which seems all too obvious. After that, they may become more difficult owing to plot and story complexities, but you're more comfortable with the form and have some idea of what you're doing so on that score they become easier, although they're never easy. Writing is always hard work.

Comment

Whichever one pops up when I open Final Draft.

They're all hard and fun for different reasons, for me. I think the better you get, the more demanding you are. So that puts pressure on you to make it perfect creating the illusion that it may be a harder script to work.

Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X