Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question about a Female Character Name

Curious: overall, what female name do you like the sound of better: Skye, Delaine, or Ingrid?

Re: Quick Question about a Female Character Name

I've never come across anyone named Delaine.

As for the other two, it depends on the character.

Comment

Based on just the name solely, Skye.

But like Brice said, it really depends on who the character is.

Comment

Skye ~ free spirit raised by hippys, slim willowy brunette

Delaine ~ FBI agent, more solidly built and utterly competant

Ingrid ~ Tall blonde german busty uber lusty
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post

I know for sure one or two of the above descriptors does not describe the kind of person I am looking to create, but interesting that is what you may have came up with or went to first in your mind...

Side Note: The phrase "german busty, uber lusty" sounds like a potential rap lyric from a B-side track on a Kanye West album.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post

These are pretty much the exact same images I came up with when I first read the names. Although Delaine, in my mind, would perhaps be more politically inclined than FBI.

What genre are you writing and what type of person is your character?
            "Writing is easy. All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead"... Gene Fowler

Comment

Originally posted by J Linc View Post
              Curious: overall, what female name do you like the sound of better: Skye, Delaine, or Ingrid?
              Do you know who her parents were? What's her lineage? Where's she from? Names have meanings when they're assigned. If you know your character well then you know her family. Which name would they have chosen?

(although NOONE names their kid Ingrid anymore, at least in America)

Comment

i agree with southern's assessment as well. the name should fit the character.
                older names like ingrid come about when they name her after grandma.
                delaine - sounds like a first name version of the surname delaney

Comment

I think Skye works for the beautiful love interest your male lead dreams of, or for the beautiful mean girl cheerleader. Either way, she is above the rest of us down here on Earth.

Delaine could work for a serious, competent type, or it could work for any contemporary woman protagonist who has her share of problems we can identify with. She seems more real.

Comment

Depending on the character, I'm not particularly fond of any of them.

Skye is the name of a stripper.

Delaine is not a first name (which I why I think people are saying "FBI agent"), but that could work in your favor.

Ingrid lives in the same world as Hortense and Margaret and Gretchen. Which is to say, a very specific world where ladies are given those names for a very specific reason.

Comment

I vote for Mulva.

What others have said - character names are your character summed up in a word, so the word/name has to fit their personality. So start with their personality & character and then find the name that best describes and projects that.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I went out with a female artist named Delaney. Skye definitely sounds like her parents were hippies. Ingrid seems like an very old fashioned name.

Another interesting technique I've found with naming characters is you can just type a first name or last name and see pictures of thousands of people come up who have that name. Might be helpful in making your decision.

Did a quick search for Ingrid and surprising to me just as many Hispanics came up as whites. Even more surprising quite a few Asians. Not a single black woman though. So if you want to go the odd ball route make the character a black woman named Ingrid.

Comment

Ho hum. I knew what was coming in this thread but decided to check it out anyway. Most of what I've read here suggests the attainment of supreme stereotype should be the objective when you're concocting character names.

How boring, silly, and insulting to the audience. It might be okay for cartoons, but for features it's like suggesting your villain has to be a he, have an accent (ie. not American English), bushy eyebrows, rubs his hands together, and kick the cat.

Every name has an unintended connotation to somebody. There are only a few that mean something to almost everybody (eg. Osama), but even then there are are exceptions. Since 9/11, millions of Osama's have been christened.

Ingrid may be a perfectly acceptable name for a story being watched by 3/4 of the world's population. Or maybe not.

Isn't it more challenging to simply use "Cheryl", or "John", or whatever you wish, and make that ordinary-sounding person's actions and predicament and arc the elements that stand out?

I often watch films, end up completely satisfied at the end, but don't remember the character names.

I spend little time worrying about names and, in fact, regularly use the same ones from script to script, although the characters are always different. The names just aren't important to my story.

Looking for some sort of magic, naming formula? There's probably some website out there that lets you type in characteristics, press <ENTER>, and get a name. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                            I spend little time worrying about names and, in fact, regularly use the same ones from script to script, although the characters are always different. The names just aren't important to my story.

I have to disagree wholeheartedly. Names are extremely important. For example, if your main character grew up with the name "Richard Cockandballstein" he probably took a fair amount of crap as a kid about it. That shapes who he is as an adult.

Whereas if she grew up constantly being told what a beautiful name she has she might have loads of self-confidence and a very positive self-image. These things inform how characters behave in a story. To ignore this is folly.

However, if you think names don't matter you can use this practical exercise to test it, try calling someone you're close to sh*thead for a year and see if it doesn't begin to change how they behave toward you.

A person's name is often their single most important identifier in life so to say it doesn't shape their character is crazy.

Laos Egri writes a fantastic book on creating character that addresses much of this. Check it out sometime. It might make your overall script much better.

Comment

Working...
                            X