How do you know you're writing something decent?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you know you're writing something decent?

Originally posted by ducky1288 View Post
    How dare you... My husband just watched Titanic II on Netflix last week...

I wish I could say I was kidding. Not too long ago I walked in and he was watching Leprechaun 5 In The Hood... A friend with weed is a friend indeed

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
      I think I did a blog entry on my stuntman friend who signed up to do a movie for Asylum and the script he signed up for was much better than the rewrite they filmed... and then after pulling dozens of favors so this cheapo film would have kick ass stunts... Asylum screwed it all up and none of the stunts are in the film. Instead they did bad CGI stuff.

There are some producers who seem to solve problems with "What would Ed Wood do?"
      It's hard to figure but I keep getting this image of some very young guys who just flat don't know what they're doing, or they're in the wrong trade or something. I've known producers who were Hollywood brats with a successful actor for a Dad. No clue about the business. Never paid attention, never listened, never learned. Ended up just scuffling.

There's all kinds.

Thank God for the good kinds, the folks who really do know this business and care about their products, the movies they make.

Is there any intel on who these folks are over there? Is there a film school grad among them? Do they have histories?

Not that it matters a whole lot, since we'll all be avoiding them like the plague from now on. $2.5K for a script? Hell, writing soaps is better than that! And they're a sig and getting away with this? Nobody have the phone number over at the WGA?

Ahh, the waters are shark infested. Sometimes it can be a challenge to differentiate the sharks from the good guys. I guess that's what agents are for.

Comment

There are some producers who seem to solve problems with "What would Ed Wood do?"

- Bill
        If taken in the spirit of what Ed Wood did, I can respect that. Dude was dedicated to his vision, and he killed himself getting it up on the screen. I'm not saying he's an undiscovered genius...but I think he was more competent than people allow. If you look at what he pulled off with the resources he had available (non-actors, no time, no money and shooting on actual film), there's something to admire there.

Trouble is, The Asylum doesn't even have the class to ask, "What would Ed Wood do?" Even worse, they're blowing a one-shot opportunity to grab onto all the publicity they've pulled in and turn itself into something that feeds into the genre. But they seem to be content to be dumb-and-happy bottom-feeders.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

As for the cheap horror script - is it like an Asylum movie, or like PIRANHA 3D, or like the original PIRANHA (which Variety called the best film ever made about the Viet Nam War)? From a logline, those three may sound similar, but the quality of execution is what makes one a classic, one a recent hit that a director I know is shooting the sequel to... and a crappy Asylum film.
          The script in question was one of the Hellraiser sequels, so more along the ranks of the many Friday the 13th and Elm Street movies.

But there's been some great advice / opinions here, definitely reassuring. I was a little afraid that some might consider me vain because I realize getting a script into production is something to be cherished (and a miracle these days) but knowing you don't necessarily have to condemn your material to the bottom of the barrel (again, that's you, Asylum) is a comforting thought.

Comment

For a HELLRAISER sequel, you *want* your name on that film... because credit = residuals (money). My policy is: if they screw up my script in development, they're gonna pay for it.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

What's wrong with the Asylum? I thought The Monarch's Monologue and 5 Fast 8 Furious were excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilario113 View Post
                What's wrong with the Asylum? I thought The Monarch's Monologue and 5 Fast 8 Furious were excellent.
                According to others posting here, they pay $2.5K for a script ... and that's apparently "what's wrong with Asylum."

Comment

I write, knowing that my next spec will be 100x better - improving my strengths and conquering my weaknesses.

And they are.
                  "Born Lucky"

Comment

Working...
                  X