I've been guilty. Have you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manic_Pixie_Dream_Girl

Re: Manic Pixie Dream Girl!

Is this 'work safe"?
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

i will never be guilty of this but... what a great title!

and i really love this:
      Arrested Development lampoons the MPDG archetype in the third season. Michael Bluth falls in love with a girl played by Charlize Theron who exhibits several of the tendencies of MPDG. She is child-like and whimsical. However, it is revealed after several episodes that she has these tendencies not because she is care free, but because she is mentally retarded.
      NikeeGoddess
      User
      Last edited by NikeeGoddess; 06-21-2011, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Good food for thought. I'd argue the point about Kate Hudson in Almost Famous though; that character wasn't static, there was definite growth.
        Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

No, but in a script that came close, I was sure to develop the important female roles, but I actually put in a lot of other stuff I now see as... not woman friendly.

I'm also disappointed that I fell for this trope more than a few times when watching movies.
          what the head makes cloudy the heart makes very clear

Comment

Originally posted by ReneC View Post
            Good food for thought. I'd argue the point about Kate Hudson in Almost Famous though; that character wasn't static, there was definite growth.
            I agree with you. I think Cameron Crowe tread a little too lightly with the dark side of what was going on in that movie, but I think the third act pretty clearly makes her not an MPDG.

Comment

i think its a sad comment on the world in general when muses become labeled as Manic Pixie Dream Girls!

The ancient Greeks knew their ****, the anal retentive PC thought police do not, they are dried up uncreative sad wretches. Frankly I would rather people my movie with manic pixies than depressed, overweight, bitter divorcees. Because my friends there is no poetry in that!
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I'll see your Manic Pixie Dream Girl and raise you a Magical Negro: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro

Comment

MPDgirls... this is one of the things that terrifies me about this board. Influence. I never look at the Advanced Script pages etc. because of the possibility of unintended influence on my own work.

Whatever.

Now along comes Manic Pixie etc.

I'd never heard of her before, so as soon as I finished the original post I analyzed all 16 of my screenplays. Nope. Nada. Not a one.

But here I was 1/4 into my 17th and there she is! I should call her Pixie, instead of Aina!

So now I've spent much of the past day and a half worrying about it, trying my darnest to make her more important, or write her out of the story, or otherwise make the pixie dust disappear. Darned difficult!

Thank you, OP...

Comment

Originally posted by elevenbulls View Post
                    I'll see your Manic Pixie Dream Girl and raise you a Magical Negro: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro
                    Similarly, the Liberal Whitie who steps forward to help the poverty-stricken person of visible minority heritage climb their way out of the Projects...

Or the reporter who defends all truth in the world...

Or the disgraced cop who saves the world...

Or the corporate baddie who is the reason for all the world's problems...

(Oh, oh, turning into a stereotypical character thread!)

Comment

Working...
                    X