Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using BOLD in descriptions...

I just read Max Landis' FRANKENSTEIN and he uses a lot of bold in the descriptions, stuff along the lines of:

She turns the corner and comes face to face with the monster!

He also will often uses CAPS with the bold like:

She turns the corner AND COMES FACE TO FACE WITH THE MONSTER!

When done right this seems to emphasize action and keep reader interest.

My question is... is this common with scripts today? Or would it be frowned upon if used by writers not as connected to the Hollywood system as Landis?

Re: Using BOLD in descriptions...

I have seen similar things with CAPS and underlining.

I think these style choices can work if done well. The problem is that a lot of people DON'T USE THEM WELL, so they ANNOY THE HELL OUT OF THE READER even though THE TECHNIQUE ITSELF ISN'T INHERENTLY "WRONG."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCollins View Post
      I just read Max Landis' FRANKENSTEIN and he uses a lot of bold in the descriptions, stuff along the lines of:

She turns the corner and comes face to face with the monster!

He also will often uses CAPS with the bold like:

She turns the corner AND COMES FACE TO FACE WITH THE MONSTER!

When done right this seems to emphasize action and keep reader interest.

My question is... is this common with scripts today? Or would it be frowned upon if used by writers not as connected to the Hollywood system as Landis?

I sometimes see writers that use bolded action description... bold is the new ALL CAPS for effect. Whether it's frowned upon or not, though, isn't a question of how well known you are as a writer, but rather how well you use the technique. If it works, it works regardless of whether you're an aspiring writer or an A-list pro.

Comment

And next comes COLOR!!!

I long ago gave up even CAPPING things because it took me a split second to think about doing it, and when I write I'm in "create mode" not "drawing mode".

Okay, once in a while I underline (in dialogue) to emphasize a shouted word. But it's rare.

However, to each their own. Nobody who tosses a script for unusual formatting, without considering the story, deserves to be reading your script.

Comment

I can honestly say that I haven't noticed much bold in pro scripts. I personally use it for text inserts or supers, like for a location or time.

Comment

I don't use bold at all, but i do use the sh*t out underlining - just specific words. And i think it works well. I've also never had an issue with the scripts i come across that have them peppered throughout too. Underlying's a great way of leading your reader.

Comment

Ditto for underlining and caps.

Comment

Comments about the so called New Style for Spec Screenplays heralded by the formatting guidelines for the PAGE International Screenwriting Award competition.

AT:- http://www.ronaberdeen.com/?p=1061
                Ron Aberdeen
                http://www.ronaberdeen.com/
                http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3609083/

Comment

Ooh, PAGE - the authoritative and definitive screenwriting body. We can all sleep safely now.

Comment

I bold everything.

I then go back and un-bold the un-important stuff - the stuff that the reader doesn't need to pay attention to.
                    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
                    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

You're never going to go wrong not bolding something.

But if you think it heightens the reading experience, go for it. Do it in moderation (less than your first instinct makes you want to). ANd see how people react to it.

If you're reading a lot of contemporary screenplays you'll realize that this is a) rare and b) gets annoying in a hurry if overdone. But some people do it.

I bold my sluglines. I don't use bold in the body of the script. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Aberdeen View Post
                        Comments about the so called New Style for Spec Screenplays heralded by the formatting guidelines for the PAGE International Screenwriting Award competition.

AT:- http://www.ronaberdeen.com/?p=1061
                        This so called "new style" isn't heralded by PAGE International, but by the gurus of the screenwriting books that make up formatting rules that many amateur writers preach about online.

They say "new style", even though screenwriters have been doing stuff like underlining etc for more than 2 decades.

They just want to sell more books. They know that since sold spec scripts by first timers have suddenly been made available online and it contradicts everything they've been teaching, they have to cover their asses by coming out with a new edition that preaches the "new style".

"Never underline, it makes you look amateur." "Oh, it's okay now, it's a 'new style'."

Yeah, tell that to writers like John August who has always used underlining and broke in 14 years ago.

Comment

What I hate are bold slug lines. Too distracting. Bleh.

Comment

Working...
                          X