No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story and concept

Hi everyone,
    I've been thinking about this, since I've had a concept in my mind for a film, that maybe I can direct someday: I have struggled with screenwriting for a long time, and now I am considering the possibility of what it would be like to write my concept as a story, and then maybe collaborating with someone who can turn it into a screenplay. I'm just wondering, is this a good idea? Has anyone ever done this before? I'm sorry if I'm unfamiliar with this concept, I just figured that maybe it would work better this way, but I'm not sure. Can this be done, if at all? I'd like to know. Thanks.

Re: Story and concept

Why do you think writing your concept/story as a novel will be any less of a struggle?

First things first. Start writing it in whatever format you're comfortable with. Finish it. Then decide on your next step.
    "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
    - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

I think a lot of screenwriters start by getting the story out of their head on to the paper in whatever form it may take.

Get it on paper any way you can. Write is as a story, write it as an outline, write single sentences describing what happens throughout your story. Do it any way you can.

There really is no right or wrong way to go from head to paper in getting things started.

Comment

Okay - you write your movie idea as a story... and then find someone else to write the screenplay. You know you will have to pay that person, right? All of us have stories to write, and they are *our* stories. Writing someone else's story isn't much fun, and takes us away from our stories. So as long as you realize you will have to pay that person to write your story, go ahead.

- Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

wcmartell makes and excellent point. And don't, figure8xo80, get to excited about working out some sort of "you'll write my idea for free and then we'll sell it and share the profit" arrangement. Any screenwriter worth a damn would turn that down.

Another question that came to mind reading your original post - where are you going to get the finances to put together a movie you can direct, assuming you get past the screenplay hurdle? If you don't have any directing experience why is someone going to throw money at you to make your idea into a movie? People don't just finance films because someone has an "idea" and nothing more.

Comment

There are no shortcuts and nobody is going to do it for you.But the biggest problem you face is concepts are not stories.

Ideas are worthless unless the creator of the idea has the skill to communicate their thoughts into a coherent acceptable presentation,such as a screenplay.

Also, there are not many directors who struggle with scripts so your chances of becoming a director look worst than the chances you have of becoming a scriptwriter.

Obviously if you can present your concept in a novel format and the novel becomes a best seller the chance of a film organisation or producer purchasing the rights to the novel increase the chances of your idea making it to the big screen.

But right now you've got nothing, and that is how it will stay unless you do something about it.

Of course writers will write for you, you just have to pay them. Fees for low budget projects written by established writers start around $50K.
            Ron Aberdeen
            http://www.ronaberdeen.com/
            http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3609083/

Comment

I have seen your situation many a time over the years. Some folks make great directors, but less than stellar writers, and visa-versa. The most important thing about being a director, though, is knowing how to read and interpret a screenplay, and inspire a crew in the same direction/vision, and turn words on a page into moving images.

If writing just isn't your thing, then you need to work with a writer that can translate your idea, scribblings, bar napkins, etc., into at least a solid treatment. When you can envision the story via this treatment, then you and the writer move to the screenplay - keeping in mind to allow the writer creative license to develop the story - this works both ways, with a writer knowing full well a director/production company is going to make changes to an original story, sometimes just because, and sometimes due to budgets, feedback, abilities, insurance and so on.

If you are serious about directing, but just not feelin' the writing, then find a writer you connect with, and collaborate. This is a common arrangement.

aw

Comment

Working...
              X