Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you handle burn-out?

I did 25 pages yesterday, and my mind feels like Jello today. Any suggestions to battle that burnt out feeling?

Re: How do you handle burn-out?

Go back in time and try to write fewer than 25(!) pages in one day. Or, failing that, try to proceed at a more reasonable pace in the future.

Comment

Cocaine

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
        Cocaine
        Not sure I can graduate to that yet. Currently on Caffeine.

Comment

A cold bottle o' Heineken helped last night.

Go out. Take a walk. Take a brief nap. Eat fish. It helps with brain power, no joke. (I eat tuna but love salmon). Your brain is an organ that is like a muscle and all muscles need to relax.

Good luck, Jim. This thread will self destruct in five seconds.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Try taking a break by doing something that requires no thought e.g. comatose on settee watching Two and a Half Men.

Comment

I had three days like this @ max output, so I understand.

Shower, leave the house and find something mindless to do that has nothing to do with writing. Visit a chatty friend. Go to a pet store. Find something to engage your mind and let go for a couple hours.
              I'm always right.

Comment

Comedies are the worst. You read over the same jokes so many times you can't remember what was supposed to be funny about them in the first place.
                "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                  You read over the same jokes so many times you can't remember what was supposed to be funny about them in the first place.
                  that's why you take a break.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

How do you handle burn-out?

You don't. It handles you. When it's done, it'll let you go and you will be able to write again.

The more you stress about it, the longer it'll take.
                    il faut d'abord durer

Comment

What Zero said - you find the method of work that works for you. I used to binge and write a stack of pages (record was 28 in one sitting - many people can write more) but I was an idiot for the next 3-4 days. I had a day job, so that wasn't a major issue (except this was day 1 of a 3 day weekend, so the other 2 days I did zip)... but I learned to pace myself.

I learned that I could write 10 pages a day, and be good the next day and write 10 more pages, and good the next day and write 10 more - which means that 3 day weekend could have been 30 pages instead of 28. Slow and steady wins the race (though 10 pages a day is not slow).

But I figured out that I can write 5 a day every day for *long* periods without total burn out, so that became my "basic" - 6 days a week. I can increase pages per day from that if I have a crazy deadline (and I've had a bunch of those). But that is my comfortable pace.

Figure out what yours is.

- Bill
                      Free Script Tips:
                      http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Yeah that's a huge work load for one day man.
                        Relax, have a beer. Have a few.

Cut down on your page output (I mean unless it's a flash of brilliance that needs to be tapped.)
                        INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
                        Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Comment

If you need to write or do any other heavy-thinking activity for several hours, it certainly helps to take frequent 10 minute breaks (like one every hour), drink a lot of water, avoid coffee, nicotine or alcohol, and eat stuff that's light and easy to digest. If possible, have a longer break around the middle of the session and go for a short (half hour) walk: the change of scenery will help you clear your mind.

Last, but not least, a possitive attitude also helps reduce unnecessary strain.
                          Last edited by ; 01-08-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

"How do you handle burn-out?"

Some exercise, at a gentler pace.
                            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Oh, and no sugar before writing! Can't concentrate.
                              - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                              X