Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Passion

Last night a friend flat out told me I haven't finished either of the two specs I've been working on, because I am not passionate about them. Hmm, must we be passionate about the subject and the story we are writing?
    He's wrong.

You haven't finished those screenplays because you lack discipline.

If I held a gun to your head you'd find a way to finish those screenplays.

If we are passionate about a story, will that passion drive us to finish the script at all costs, not allow us to stop hitting the keyboard until its finished no matter what else may get in the way.
    No.

Passion is enthusiasm. Nothing more, nothing less.

Writing is work. Writing is a job. Some days you'll love it, others you'll hate it.

So, suck it up and drive on. Keep writing through the good and bad.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
      ATB, I'm not trying to be an ass here, but to me "compelled" to write it is no different than "passionate" about writing it. I want to write it and need to write it, but I think my problem is I haven't worked out what the story is really about. If that makes sense.

That's what's keeping me from creating a detailed outline. That's why I write, rewrite pages and pages, put it away, start again, rewrite...ad infinitum.

To paraphrase your suggestion, "write something you know what the story is about" may be the answer.
      No worries. You're not being an ass. But let me put this question to you:

How can you be passionate or compelled to write a story if you don't know what it's about? It's almost a logical impossibility.

Like loving a woman you haven't met yet. And I don't mean someone you've talked to but never met in-person. I mean loving the vague idea of a woman who has yet to come into your life.

But maybe that's what you're doing. You're in love with the idea of a story that has yet to fully reveal itself.

My two cents: Discover your story before you exhaust your passion for it.

But, then again, I may be reading your posts the wrong way and I'm completely off-base.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post

But maybe that's what you're doing. You're in love with the idea of a story that has yet to fully reveal itself.

My two cents: Discover your story before you exhaust your passion for it.
        I think that's the answer. I can't crack the story that I think I need to write. Have any others suffered this problem. How do you solve it?

Comment

I think that's the answer. I can't crack the story that I think I need to write. Have any others suffered this problem. How do you solve it?
          I think we've all experienced it. The all-elusive "story we meant to write."

I've been revising the same script going-on two years, now. I keep working on other stuff, but I come back to it and do a major overhaul. I know the story I really want to tell, but haven't been able to make it work yet.

What does that say about the story? I don't know. Is it not worth telling? Am I not the one to tell it? Don't know. All you can do is keep fighting.

Comment

Every writer has this problem. It comes with the territory.

How do you solve it? You either crack it or you don't. Every writer is different so there isn't a perfect answer or easy solution.

The best advice I can give is to figure out where the story begins and where it ends. Who is the main character and what are his obstacles.

Answer those questions and you have something to build on.
            Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

ATB: My two cents: Discover your story before you exhaust your passion for it.
              I can roll with that. My caveat would be: passion evolves and you might have to use other forms of expression; maybe change the genre that confines the story, you know. Be prepared to make necessary adjustments in order to keep at it.

I'm going to stop there before I come up with a platitude.

Comment

ATB, C.Jon, and Angeloworx that helps.

Angeloworx I don't mind if you come up with platitudes...but no rules, please.

Comment

I always aim for passion as the best way in, but I have written a few luke-warm projects when there's nothing burning me up, just to keep writing....

I think for me it begins as passion and then mutates into something else, "resistance" maybe, I finish because I like that fight of just trying to get through it.
                  Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

maybe ask yourself this: what is it that you really want to [passionately] say to the world? then create a story and a world... hopefully a commercial one, that can showcase what you want to say.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                      maybe ask yourself this: what is it that you really want to [passionately] say to the world? then create a story and a world... hopefully a commercial one, that can showcase what you want to say.
                      Yes Nikee, I think I'm stuck, unable to create (or crack) this story because I've been working on plot without knowing what I really want the story to be about.

Comment

Working...
                      X