Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Injecting heart and likeability

Nevermind. I take it all back. Apparently, I'm the a$$hole here, because although I find the show interesting and compelling, I don't find Jax to be likable. I get his situation, I just don't particularly like him.

But I concede. Majority rules. He's a super swell guy.

Comment

You're learning.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Davisimo View Post
        Nevermind. I take it all back. Apparently, I'm the a$$hole here, because although I find the show interesting and compelling, I don't find Jax to be likable. I get his situation, I just don't particularly like him.

But I concede. Majority rules. He's a super swell guy.
        Ooookay. You don't have to find Jax likeable. You just need to realize that others do. Lots of others do.

He's been molded to be a likeable "bad guy."

Just a question, not an accusation: Have you watched every episode?

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
          Ooookay. You don't have to find Jax likeable. You just need to realize that others do. Lots of others do.

He's been molded to be a likeable "bad guy."

Just a question, not an accusation: Have you watched every episode?
          Holy sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just conceded. You f**king win!!!!!!!!

Now, to answer your question, I made it half-way through season two and then got annoyed by the character. But that is a matter of taste.

So, now am I going to be brow-beaten into having to finish the show?!

I hate NCIS but millions of viewers, like my mom, love it. So, who's right and who's wrong? Me or mom and the millions of other retirees?

Comment

Your mom.*

This would be a good time for everyone to remember that we're all entitled to our own opinions and there's no need to resort to the personal to make your point. (This is directed at all and sundry.)

*Actually, I have never watched NCIS, but it's funnier to say your mum than you. So.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

What kills me, is I came on to this thread to simply make a point about likeability vs. relatability and I used a show as an example, and intern, it somehow got misconstrued as an attack upon that show, which intern caused the rabid fans to come out swinging...

Oh Jax! Not him! I love Jax! I want to bear his little biker babies!

...instead of talking about the actual point made.

This thread had nothing to do with Sons of Anarchy, but was simply about, as the thread's title put it, "Injecting heart and likeability."

Comment

Holy sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just conceded. You f**king win!!!!!!!!
                Uhhh, okay...

Now, to answer your question, I made it half-way through season two and then got annoyed by the character. But that is a matter of taste.
                Exactly. I respect your opinion. I realize how people might find the character somewhat unlikeable. I understand that.

Like I feel I've established already: Jax is a character that challenges you. He's a character that you feel you shouldn't like but that you (or most) do.

So, now am I going to be brow-beaten into having to finish the show?!
                No...?! That's your opinion. Cool. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

Comment

Fall back, dude. People are TALKING about likability. That's what the board is about. People wanna school each other on each other's perspective.

I think from a technical aspect, most writers would agree that Jax is pretty likable. No one's trying to prove you wrong so much as get you to see their side. And though you're not required to see anyone else's side, you should calm down.

Again this is a message board where people talk about writing. And talk. And talk. Ad nauseum.

Comment

What kills me, is I came on to this thread to simply make a point about likeability vs. relatability and I used a show as an example, and intern, it somehow got misconstrued as an attack upon that show, which intern caused the rabid fans to come out swinging...

This thread had nothing to do with Sons of Anarchy, but was simply about, as the thread's title put it, "Injecting heart and likeability."
                    No one is attacking you. People are discussing the example you provided. Most of them don't agree with it. I don't agree with it. You are equating likability with morality. They're not the same thing.

People like to watch good guys and bad guys. People can relate to good guys and bad guys.
                    Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

1.) It's "in turn."

2.) I don't think anyone who has responded is a "die hard" fan, but I'm speaking mostly for myself.

3.) The reason you got a backlash is because you portrayed a likeable character as unlikeable. And you got quite a few responses that agreed that Jax is likeable.

It's cool if you don't agree. That's fine. But you're basically saying that likeable characters cannot be murderers or criminals or both.

And that's just not true.

At all.

Comment

He's a character that you feel you shouldn't like but that you (or most) do.
                        Uh, no. That is why I stopped watching. Because I determined that I DO NOT LIKE HIM.

Comment

1.) It's "in turn."
                          Dude.
                          Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Deep breaths all round.

Thank you.
                            sigpic

Website
                            Tweets
                            Book

Comment

1.) It's "in turn."
                              Now I get it. I thought he was calling you an intern and I thought oh wow, ATB's an intern. So I learned something today.

In a funny way I find Jax kinda likable, not in the sense that I think he's a swell guy and I'd want him to impregnate my daughters, but in the sense that he has to negotiate his survival in a particular moral universe in a way that gives him a certain endearing quality as a human being despite his flaws. I suppose that's a mixture of empathy and likeability so please excuse me if I've created the impression I'm fence-sitting. But little in life is black and white, it's mostly shades of gray.
                              "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Murderers and criminals aren't likeable
                                When they are a character in a film - murderers and criminals can be incredibly likeable.

Look at 'Mr & Mrs Smith' . The two main characters were incredibly likeable ... despite the fact they were both murderers .. serial killers who murdered for money.

But in the world of the film they were incredibly likeable.

Mac
                                New blogposts:
                                *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                                *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                                *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                                *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

Working...
                                X