Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No way Out?

There are many "Rules" that float around the screenwriting world. I think I have learned most of them, then one time or another I have broken said rule.

Whatever serves the story is my mantra.

But one "rule", "suggestion", "practice" that I have pretty much never broken is the one where our protagonist (s) always get themselves out of trouble by their own ingenuity.

I am writing a script where I have cornered our heroes and I don't know how to get them out.

I don't want to give away the whole premise of the script, but it is a comedy. I have two characters chasing after hot Goth women. Well one thing leads to another and they find themselves tied on up and about to be sacrificed to what ever devil deity I come up with. They are pretty much screwed. This happens in the middle of the story.

So how do I get them out, without having a deus ex machina moment?

I was thinking that I could do what I want, since it is the middle of the script and the guys have not yet solved their internal and external problems yet. Which they will, since I have already figured that out in my outline.

But, I am still at a pause, about this middle scene. If I give them a lucky break in the middle, it just bugs me. Or am I over-thinking this.
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Re: No way Out?

You gotta set up the solution beforehand so that you can pay it off.

Well... you don't gotta, but that's my suggestion.

Maybe they overhear something in the beginning that they realize they can use in this moment?

Comment

I always solve this problem by thinking of what the characters would logically do. What would this person have done yesterday? What would she have done the day before? When I just break it down and look at the character and their logical behavior, most of the time the solution presents itself.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Also: maybe you don't know how to get them out of this situation because they shouldn't be in it.

Does it make sense that they would be tied up by Goth chicks? Are they the type that would let girls tie them up, thinking it'll get sexual? Maybe they're nearly tied up, but one of them thinks he should do the tying. He's the dude, he wants to take control... so he inadvertently saves himself and his friend even though he never realized they were actually in danger.

Comment

What ATB said both times - the way out is to figure out the solution and then go back and plant it and then in rewrites make it seem like it wasn't pasted in there.

You can't do too much of this or you end up with that script I once read about the guy who had a hobby of mountain climbing and was a medic during the war and had travelled with a circus and...

But once is fine. Make one of the guys double jointed or something - and make it his come on line so that we think it's a joke when it's really setting up his way out later. Or find a situation you can find a way out of.

- Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
            You gotta set up the solution beforehand so that you can pay it off.
            I agree with this. Whenever I hit a wall, I look at what I already have and try to work with that.

Comment

I think you're over-thinking it indeed. Jot down a short list of possible solutions and follow each one with a light outline. If the solution that seems best needs to be set up in advance, then go back and set it up.

I think that when you encounter a problem like this is when it's more useful to work in outline form; outline, treatment, scriptment, whatever works best for you.

If this isn't a pivotal moment in your story, don't worry so much. And best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                What ATB said both times - the way out is to figure out the solution and then go back and plant it and then in rewrites make it seem like it wasn't pasted in there.

You can't do too much of this or you end up with that script I once read about the guy who had a hobby of mountain climbing and was a medic during the war and had travelled with a circus and...

But once is fine. Make one of the guys double jointed or something - and make it his come on line so that we think it's a joke when it's really setting up his way out later. Or find a situation you can find a way out of.

- Bill
                Yes....this.... and what ATB said.

Here's how I'd do it based on this idea (and what little I've managed to glean from tone and genre from your post).

Sometime earlier- Preferably a lot earlier. I'm not a fan of set-up like this crow-barred in 5 pages before pay-off- HERO #1 is having a discussion about women with HERO #2. You can pack this conversation with all manner of cheeky winks. Maybe HERO #1 even references Goth Chicks. You could set-up some nice pay-offs with dialogue here-

'Nah, could never date a goth chick, man. Hate to get tied down by one of those (insert hilarious goth-related put-down).

TIED DOWN!........ugh.... anyway you get the idea.

Then dialogue moves onto weird ways to attract the ladies. What about party pieces. HERO #1 shows how he can dislocate his wrist due to some (insert word) accident. HERO #2 looks at him. 'Sick s**t like that? No wonder you been single for (insert number) years.'.... AND HILARITY ENSUES.

Uhh whatever. This is pretty much just agreeing with everyone else. Set it up later then make it look like it was there all along.

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
                  There are many "Rules" that float around the screenwriting world. I think I have learned most of them, then one time or another I have broken said rule.

Whatever serves the story is my mantra.

But one "rule", "suggestion", "practice" that I have pretty much never broken is the one where our protagonist (s) always get themselves out of trouble by their own ingenuity.

I am writing a script where I have cornered our heroes and I don't know how to get them out.

I don't want to give away the whole premise of the script, but it is a comedy. I have two characters chasing after hot Goth women. Well one thing leads to another and they find themselves tied on up and about to be sacrificed to what ever devil deity I come up with. They are pretty much screwed. This happens in the middle of the story.

So how do I get them out, without having a deus ex machina moment?

I was thinking that I could do what I want, since it is the middle of the script and the guys have not yet solved their internal and external problems yet. Which they will, since I have already figured that out in my outline.

But, I am still at a pause, about this middle scene. If I give them a lucky break in the middle, it just bugs me. Or am I over-thinking this.
                  How do they get out in your outline?

What ATB, what Bill said.

Is this the midpoint of your story? It sounds like it. Just at a cursory glance I'm expecting one of your heroes to be willing to make a deal with the devil entity. His soul in exchange for the lives of his friends etc using the point of no return. Maybe not how the story goes... but if it is the midpoint, this scene is about more than just a "way out." It's the way into the rest of your story.
                  Last edited by Ire; 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM. Reason: missed the outline reference in cmmora's post
                  #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

This is a really odd question. It's almost like you don't think you have control of the script. You could give one of them a trusty Swiss Army Knife on page 5 and the problem is solved (albeit in a fairly boring fashion). As others have said, the possible solutions are endless. Whatever you settle on, try to make it interesting.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I see where my problem stems from. A newbie plotting oversite. I didn't set up the Genesis of the solution early on. And was too close to the script to realize my error.

I have some ideas. Thanks.
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
                        ... but if it is the midpoint, this scene is about more than just a "way out." It's the way into the rest of your story.
                        Well, it could be a midpoint shift/twist. Doesn't have to be though.

But it is probably the point at which your story ramps up the stakes. Make it a pivotal moment.

Doesn't mean your characters have to realize the stakes have been raised... but we do.

Comment

Random thought, that may or may not have any bearing here, but is worth keeping in mind:

Even the "devil deity" is a character. It has its own motivations/desires/personality, and can be tricked/coerced/convinced into doing whatever you need it to.
                          twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Cmmora, So, story-wise, is this scene approximating a midpoint? Of course you have the right to plead the fifth. Just wondering..
                            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Ire... Yes, this is the midpoint of the story. My two characters realize that they need to take "another route" to achieve their goals.

My story is not about devils or anything like that, just two guys looking for love... But just in all the wrong places...

God, I love making up stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X