No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webcams formatting?

So: a little formatting help?!

As you know, it is bloody impossible to find a good book/exemplar for current screenplay format - emphasizing current. Trottier was great for example, but even with the newest version current format is always moving toward more readable and much less direction, so it's confusing to know what to use.

I have a scene which is two people are in their own rooms in far apart homes talking through webcams to one another. I am happy with the director deciding where the camera should be at a given time so I am happy not to direct the precise shot, but, for example, when the camera is on one person the other could/will be visible on the computer screen.

How do I write the action AND the slugline(s) for this?

Re: Webcams formatting?

Always go for simple and not confusing.

I might do something like this:

WEBCAM - JOE'S ROOM -- INTERCUT

And the best source for stuff like this is screenplays - someone has already done this in some script.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by allisondbl View Post
      So: a little formatting help?! ...
      Start simple.

- Just "INTERCUT:" the two locations.
      - State that each person is sitting in front of a computer talking to the webcam.

Is your scene any more complicated than that?
      "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
      - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

WCMartell - Absolutely re: finding it in a script. Unfortunately, I have several hundred and in the ones that can be searched I can't find a SINGLE example of this in the past couple of years and since formatting has been getting leaner and leaner I don't like relying on anything more than a couple years old.

Doesn't mean webcams aren't there btw, but I cannot find one! Hence my resorting to asking! If you have a good, recent script(s) that include this I would be ETERNALLY grateful if you could shoot it my way. I can send email or PM or whatever.

And btw, with respect: the way you wrote it does NOT reflect the scene at all as by definition the intercut has to make us see two rooms and four possible heads.

As of now it reads:

INT. DAVID'S ROOM/SAM'S ROOM - INTERCUT

Their WEBCAMS are turned ON. David's chair is TILTED BACK, arms behind his head, heels on table-edge. Sam is his opposite: LEANT FORWARD, elbows on table, fiddling with an action figure.

SAM
        ... so bottom line we're cool?

------------

Then I'd just have the dialogue with occasional action comments.

But problem is other than first mention of webcams you don't "see" when we're on David or on Sam. And if we're seeing David and Sam on computer or vice versa. Since I'm happy to let director direct that could be okay ...
        but unsure.

Thanks for all input btw! You too TwoBrad - I think what I have is what you suggested?

Comment

I would do it this way:

INT. DAVID'S ROOM - NIGHT

The WEBCAM is turned ON. David's chair is TILTED BACK, arms behind his head, heels on table-edge.

INT. SAM'S ROOM - NIGHT

Sam is David's opposite: LEANS FORWARD, elbows on table, fiddling with an action figure. Talks into WEBCAM.

SAM
          ... so bottom line we're cool?

INTERCUT DAVID AND SAM:

DAVID
          No.

SAM
          What?

etc.
          "I am the story itself; its source, its voice, its music."
          - Clive Barker, Galilee

Comment

Wow! That is GREAT and solves all problems I think. I can just keep the dialogue going and let a director direct. Shweet! Thank you!!

Comment

OK, that solves OP's problem.

That said, seems to me that the "great thing" about a webcam scene is that you don't have to INTERCUT. It lets you stay in DAVID'S ROOM and yet see Sam - on David's computer/iPad/smartphone. Then for Sam's dialogue, for example, just do an extension: SAM (ON COMPUTER SCREEN)

Or if you do want to intercut... You can slug DAVID'S ROOM, then add: David's at his computer/iPad/smartphone on a video call with Sam. Then slug SAM'S ROOM and start the INTERCUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
                OK, that solves OP's problem.

That said, seems to me that the "great thing" about a webcam scene is that you don't have to INTERCUT. It lets you stay in DAVID'S ROOM and yet see Sam - on David's computer/iPad/smartphone. Then for Sam's dialogue, for example, just do an extension: SAM (ON COMPUTER SCREEN)

Or if you do want to intercut... You can slug DAVID'S ROOM, then add: David's at his computer/iPad/smartphone on a video call with Sam. Then slug SAM'S ROOM and start the INTERCUT.
                Not sure I agree about great thing: having one person always on screen and the other live works if one is protagonist and the other secondary, but if they're co-protagonists I think shared focus is better.

And I'm not sure how your second suggestion (thank you!) would look different than the one I liked?

Comment

Originally posted by allisondbl View Post
                  And I'm not sure how your second suggestion (thank you!) would look different than the one I liked?
                  True, it is about the same. I was trying to underline that if you are going to intercut, then there's nothing special needed in the way of setup. So just, for example - David and Sam do a Skype-video call from their bedrooms. Thinking about it now, do you even have to mention the hardware...? Maybe, but in a year or two, probably not.

Comment

You are over-thinking all of this.

Just say they're on webcams and leave it at that. The reader will get it.

Comment

Working...
                    X