Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Very Entertaining ... But Forgettable"

Say this is the only response you got back from a script you submitted.

What would this mean to you in your own words?
    sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Re: "Very Entertaining ... But Forgettable"

Last edited by BattleDolphinZero; 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I think that was my script.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by WriteHandMan View Post
        Say this is the only response you got back from a script you submitted.

The reader thought it was fun to read but there was no story. He or she can't remember what it was about.

Comment

I think Chris Lockhart had a very good post on this on twoadverbs years back.

It seems like a script would be memorable if it were very entertaining. But perhaps the characters don't have dilemmas or conflicts or even traits that stick. Maybe the plotting is too perfunctory. Maybe you've met the bar on a premise that's been done but haven't raised it. Many times it's a "parts are greater than the whole" thing.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

If you need a literal explanation of what that phrase means then you're going to need to do a lot of vocabulary work before you try writing. But I don't think that's what you're asking.

I think what you're really getting at is not what the phrase means but what the implications are behind it, what was the person saying about the faults or flaws of your script. THAT is a more meaningful question than "what does this very obvious phrase mean." To answer that question you need to provide context. Who said it is important. The circumstances in which he or she said it is important.

Otherwise, this question is just way to vague to answer in any sort of meaningful way.

Comment

Originally posted by WriteHandMan View Post
              "Pass".

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post

It seems like a script would be memorable if it were very entertaining. But perhaps the characters don't have dilemmas or conflicts or even traits that stick. Maybe the plotting is too perfunctory. Maybe you've met the bar on a premise that's been done but haven't raised it. Many times it's a "parts are greater than the whole" thing.

HH, I think this one was my script...
                " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

"Very Entertaining ... But Forgettable"

There was a song that played about 30 years ago and the chorus went like this

"The owner of a lonely heart is better than the owner of a broken heart"

I don't remember the band who did it, nor the words of the remainder of the song, but I do remember to this day, that one line. That one line had meaning to me all these years. Of course you cant control what people remember.

Comment

The band was Yes and wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                      "Pass".
                      Yeah, agree.

Don't understand this thread at all. When I get passed on I don't give a fvck about why cuz it is, in general, who-the-fvck-cares.

I never met writers who mulled over crap like "very entertaining...but forgettable." Total waste of energy, imo

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
                        The band was Yes and wtf?
                        Right. Band, Yes. Album 90125. Early '80s title song. Owner of a Lonely Heart.
                        I remember getting album. Yes, an actual album. Even sang along with it.
                        Fortunately no one endures that here.

And yes, I do figure this thread is entertaining. But probably forgettable.
                        Last edited by MJ Scribe; 04-17-2012, 06:50 PM. Reason: shooting for some degree of clarity.
                        " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post

I think this pretty much covers it.
                          sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

"Very Entertaining ... But Forgettable"

Isn't that the definition of Hollywood?
                            Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

It could mean your story, fun though it might be, has no real point or deeper meaning.
                              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
                              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Working...
                              X